Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff whine saga

Hi guys need some advice
    recently swapped my 4.1 diff with a friend for his stock one. We stripped the front diff bolt during instal so diff was clunky.

gave it to a mechanic to sort out, and he installed an M16 bolt. Needed to drill through the AKG diff bush to fit the bolt.

when I got the car back it developed this whine when off gas pedal and in little higher speeds, 60/70kms /hr onwards. He thought maybe the big washer that he used with the bolt was the cause. Tried different bolt and noise is still there.

Rest of bushes are stock in drivetrain other than front diff bush.

I'd assume the stock differential was whining before you installed it and/or it's now just more audible due to that AKG

Comment

People assume gear swap is straight forward, but more often than not the pinion depth is not adjusted. Your issue is very likely wrong gear mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajvosa View Post

when I got the car back it developed this whine when off gas pedal and in little higher speeds, 60/70kms /hr onwards. He thought maybe the big washer that he used with the bolt was the cause. Tried different bolt and noise is still there.

It's not clear which car has the whine -- yours/stock diff or the friend/4.1

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
          It's not clear which car has the whine -- yours/stock diff or the friend/4.1
          the stock diff I got off him.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
            People assume gear swap is straight forward, but more often than not the pinion depth is not adjusted. Your issue is very likely wrong gear mesh.
            We did straight swap. I installed a stock diff into my car.

Comment

If anything, the 4.10 should make more noise than that stock diff. Did you ride in the car with the stock diff before the swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                If anything, the 4.10 should make more noise than that stock diff. Did you ride in the car with the stock diff before the swap?
                No I didn’t. But I had it in my car briefly until clunk started and then gave to mechanic to sort the diff bush bolt. I didn’t notice the whine back then

Comment

Can he check that everything is mounted and torqued properly? After that, either he can try a modified stock front diff bushing or the diff has to come apart for bearings/internal parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajvosa View Post
                    No I didn’t. But I had it in my car briefly until clunk started and then gave to mechanic to sort the diff bush bolt. I didn’t notice the whine back then
                    So did you remove it or someone else? And after you removed it you didn’t drop/impact the diff on input flange hard by chance (when lifting/moving it)?
                    I’d check the torque on the bolts and would also suspect a larger washer used might hit metal. But you already checked that. Next variable is the aftermarket front diff bushing.
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

If you're using a poly bushing it will cause a shitload of whine.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                        +1…I don't care what people say about different combinations of poly and stock bushings in different locations. Any poly or solid diff bushings will give you a noticeable amount of whine. Go back to stock in the front and it will solve a majority, if not all of your problem.

If you have poly or solid subframe bushings, then that will also be a contributing factor.
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                          This.

All diffs whine. The question is can you hear it?

Comment

So you say you have a lot of whine?
                            Here is the perfect accompaniment to go with you whine…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8179.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	211830

Comment

Working...
                            X