No announcement yet.

Serious help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same head gasket wear between cylinders when I decided to do mine.

Did you do the headgasket only with engine in the car or did you do any engine out low end block work as well?

Any head work? I.e) disassembling valves and replacing seals?

Timed vanos correctly and installed cams right? Followed BEISANs guide?

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

What gasket did you use to replace it? Was the block ok?
      I used an OEM top end refresh kit that I bought from FCP Euro. It had every gasket, washer and seal that was needed for the top end job. Honestly I assume the block was okay but it never came out of the car. It never leaked oil or coolant and was dependable until the plinking noise started
      Last edited by MyM3isKillingMe; 05-23-2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
        What are the compression numbers?

I think 90% of all machine shops suck.
        I was told that when the engine is cold and a compression test is done it was in the 190 psi range. When the engine got to op temp it went down to 75-80 on all 6 cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Stainless steel gasket that hot gas ate through in 3 places sounds concerning. Assuming the same issue happened with the new gasket, this should not cause the loss of such low compression as people with this kind of leaking between cylinders reported the detonation noise.
          I wouldn’t think it happened with the new gasket because it never ran from the moment I finished the job. It would start up and idle like crap but could never drive under its own power. It pretty much just sat there until I could find a shop that would take it

Comment

You have to pinpoint where the combustion gases are leaking when hot. It honestly sounds like the head was not bolted down correctly.

Did you use new head bolts? When bolting it down, did you torque each bolt in the specific sequence 1 to 14 noted in the TIS instructions? Torque is 30nm + 90 degrees + 90 degrees
            Last edited by Slideways; 05-23-2023, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
              I had the same head gasket wear between cylinders when I decided to do mine.

Did you do the headgasket only with engine in the car or did you do any engine out low end block work as well?

Any head work? I.e) disassembling valves and replacing seals?

Timed vanos correctly and installed cams right? Followed BEISANs guide?
              Top end refresh only. Block stayed in the car the entire time. I took the head to a shop and they “told” me it was good to go. Shaved a small amount off the face to clean it up. Installed cams properly, rebuilt the vanos with the full Beisan kit and timed correctly. This is why I’m so lost. I took so much care in putting everything back together. I started the job in late November and didn’t get done until the middle of January. I’m a medic and work nights so I worked on it when I had the spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                You have to pinpoint where the combustion gases are leaking when hot. It honestly sounds like the head was not bolted down correctly.

Did you use new head bolts? When bolting it down, did you torque each bolt in the specific sequence 1 to 14 noted in the TIS instructions? Torque is 30nm + 90 degrees + 90 degrees
                Absolutely! New head bolts and I even bought a digital torque wrench that would do torque and angle measurements solely for this job. I did go 1-14 per TIS doing 30nm for each bolt then the 90° for each and 90° one more time. That second 90° was tough.

Comment

Hiw does the coolant and oil look? You can test the coolant for exhaust games. I'd start there.

Comment

Too many imprecise details to really diagnose this.

I would as icecream said test the coolant for combustion gases with a proper three chamber tester as well.​
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by MyM3isKillingMe View Post

I was told that when the engine is cold and a compression test is done it was in the 190 psi range. When the engine got to op temp it went down to 75-80 on all 6 cylinders
                      you should verify this yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        I would as icecream said test the coolant for combustion gases with a proper three chamber tester as well.​
                        The coolant hose would be hard like a rock if the gas leaked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

The coolant hose would be hard like a rock if the gas leaked into it.
                          Well, aside from that, if the leak is between cylinders there won't be anything at all showing up.
                          Also, not 100% on this but wouldn't the system vent excess pressure on top of the fact it's not really a closed system anymore if gases can flow in and out of the gasket areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

but wouldn't the system vent excess pressure on top of the fact it's not really a closed system anymore if gases can flow in and out of the gasket areas.
                            Gas can go in but not out, like a raccoon in the trap

Comment

Working...
                            X