No announcement yet.

Topside Oil changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like at some point it was suggested that there was a drain hole in the filter housing you could use for extraction, but when I've tried it the hose is too big.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
      Many newer cars dont have dipsticks so you're SOL there.
      I thought you were joking and then I googled. I had no idea. Holy crap, somehow I managed to miss that even the now old e92 m3 doesn't have one, my god.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
        Many newer cars dont have dipsticks so you're SOL there.
        Yup - F25 X3 has no dipstick (so annoying). I don't worry about having to remove the plug to drain as I installed a Stahlbus valve.

I have a Schwaben extractor I bought a few years ago and it works great for multiple makes and models (that have a dipstick of course).​

Comment

Very few BMWs past 2006 except some diesels have dipsticks.
          Depending on sensors that fail more frequently than you might think is a horrible situation. We had a 2008 E90 335i in, pan was bone dry from a bad turbo shitting oil out of the tailpipes but the owner didnt know because their oil sensor failed as well!

Why in the fuck did BMW do that? I have a few ideas.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Been changing oil from top side on the S54 for a few years now. Works beautifully and you can suck out almost all the old oil. This is not the case with the other cars I own. Just make sure the oil is hot so it can easily be sucked out and the dirt is not collecting on the bottom. With the filter, it is a easy 15 minute job. Gone are the days of jacking up all 4 corners for an oil change. Wish S65 motors had a dipstick too
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

What is the length of the tube needed for the S54? The extractor i bought came with one that's a little on the short side so i plan on making an extension for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                We had a 2008 E90 335i in, pan was bone dry from a bad turbo shitting oil out of the tailpipes but the owner didnt know because their oil sensor failed as well!
                I'm no lawyer, but smells like a lawsuit to me. Not being able to physically check something that is the lifeblood of any engine is insane.

Comment

I imagine the highest concentration of particulate matter would be in the last couple of ounces at the bottom where the tube can't pick it up unless you somehow magically place it in the absolute best position in the oil pan.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I've been using a Mityvac extractor for fluid changes since I bought my M3 13 years ago. It saves time vs. jacking the car up and draining from the oil pan. You don't have to worry about stripping the oil pan drain hole threads, which was (still is?) a common occurrence among DIY owners. Much simpler and cleaner process, too.

Comment

I live in an apartment and doing sneaky regular oil changes got tiring after a while. Much easier to do a sneaky top side with an extractor.

Comment

I have an extractor and it’s pretty helpful. But the thing is if you have any shit floating around in there, it’s gonna settle to the bottom, so it’s probably advisable to do a regular oil change if you think something might be up.
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post

Get the largest extractor that you can find if you plan on using it on other cars. I have the Mityvac 2.3 gal, which I also use on my X5 that takes 8.5 quarts.

I use the Blackstone Labs' quick draw vaccum pump to collect samples => https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/
                          What model X5? Would love to use on my F15 50i but no dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post

What model X5? Would love to use on my F15 50i but no dipstick.
                            OG E53

Comment

Yeah, the e-dipstick on the E90 is the worst ever. If it says add a qt and you add a qt, it will then say overfilled.

Comment

Man if I ever get a car without a dipstick it will likely be an EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X