X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Group Buy: Lightweight Forged Steel Flywheel by TTV Racing

NEW GROUP BUY

S54 Lightweight forged steel flywheel by TTV Racing

Save 20% off the 750$ US MSRP and free shipping to the US via DHL air.
    We've already reached the 20x threshold
    You can lock in your spot here.

--
    Available for SMG/6spd
    5.3 kg
    Works with OEM clutch and starter motor.
    Uses OEM bolts BMW P/N 11227805885​
    --
    ETA: 4-8 weeks
    Payment via PayPal to TTV before it ships
    All other BMW M N/A applications are in this as well
    --

Forged steel has a higher density than aluminum. Heat tolerances are higher and it can be machine to a tighter package while retaining sufficient for street use. It also works with the OE clutch.

I have hands-on experience with TTV's S65 and S85 flywheels and my experiences have been superb.
    1. The V10 SMG is dead silent and purely has benefits from 6 months of testing. I've also tested GPS Draggy shift times and G forces: it's much faster.
    2. The DCT feels like a motorbike engine with some idle chatter, and no in gear lash.

I'm on board the group buy to try out the S54 application.​ It will be paired with the carbon driveshaft and RTD shifter.

I'm still traumatized from the JB Racing aluminum flywheel and the Sachs HD clutch combination that was on the car E46 when I bought it. It will be me direct comparaison on the S54.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.
    Matt
    Attached Files

I'm yet to hear positive feedback from an E46 M3 SMG owner after a lightweight flywheel install.

It seems forged steel has gotten popular with the turbo crowd that doesn't want to drop a ton of weight when converting to single mass flywheel.

Without the ability to easily modulate clutch engagement ad hoc, I'm just not sure about using with SMG.

While not drastically different, it seemed SMG3 in the S85 was quite a bit smarter than our SMG2.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Great questions!

See my notes in blue below.

Originally posted by C///M View Post
      I'm yet to hear positive feedback from an E46 M3 SMG owner after a lightweight flywheel install.

Agreed. It's also my experience with the JB Racing & Sachs HD combo. It was atrocious - like a pack of bolts in a blender and the clutch was too heavy.

It seems forged steel has gotten popular with the turbo crowd that doesn't want to drop a ton of weight when converting to single mass flywheel.

This weights about 5.3 kg / 11.6 lbs, stock weights 24.2 lbs. The advantage of carbon forged is the higher density over aluminum allows to machine to a tighter package and with higher thermal capacity.

This helps with idle chatter, but it won't be silent on a manual transmission with a throwout bearing.

It does seem like the 420G is more sensitive and has higher variance compared to the V8 and V10.

Without the ability to easily modulate clutch engagement ad hoc, I'm just not sure about using with SMG.

I can confirm my use with the SMG3 has been genuinely, purely with upsides.

While not drastically different, it seemed SMG3 in the S85 was quite a bit smarter than our SMG2.

It was faster due to the actuator and gear arrangement being optimized for shift speeds with an awkward pattern. I don't believe it's any smarter from my research - but I lack hands on experience with the SMG2.

Thoughts?

Want to give it a try? if you have an SMG, I'd be open to trying a sponsorship (partial?) with TTV - with a money back guarantee.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

My issue with the JBRacing I have on the car currently is a nasty resonance around 5000 to 5500 RPM. The idle chatter sucks but isn't a deal breaker. I am wondering if this would be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmans View Post
          My issue with the JBRacing I have on the car currently is a nasty resonance around 5000 to 5500 RPM. The idle chatter sucks but isn't a deal breaker. I am wondering if this would be any different.
          It's what I found too, especially off throttle/engine braking. There is a tiny bit now with an OEM dual mass wheel, I suspect this is due to the solid mounted CAE shifter though. From what I heard the 420g just has a lot of gear lash noise? and I've read some other manufacturers actually fit gears with springs on them as a mini-dualmass wheel to prevent this type of noise.

I can't see how any single mass wheel, no matter what weight or material is going to affect the gear lash and noise/chatter, but I hope to be proved wrong, the engine revved nicely with my JBR SMF, but it feels torquier with a dual mass now. Never found the clutch heavy though when I paired it with a Sachs performance sprung clutch and pressure plate, and can't feel any difference now with the DMF and normal Sachs clutch and PPlate.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

It's what I found too, especially off throttle/engine braking. There is a tiny bit now with an OEM dual mass wheel, I suspect this is due to the solid mounted CAE shifter though. From what I heard the 420g just has a lot of gear lash noise? and I've read some other manufacturers actually fit gears with springs on them as a mini-dualmass wheel to prevent this type of noise.

I can't see how any single mass wheel, no matter what weight or material is going to affect the gear lash and noise/chatter, but I hope to be proved wrong, the engine revved nicely with my JBR SMF, but it feels torquier with a dual mass now. Never found the clutch heavy though when I paired it with a Sachs performance sprung clutch and pressure plate, and can't feel any difference now with the DMF and normal Sachs clutch and PPlate.

Regards

I think the S54 and inline 6s in general have a 2nd order resonance around those RPMs that the dual mass usually masks. But yeah it sounds just terrible at partial throttle with a RTD shifter.

Comment

Working...
            X