Suspension Reinforcements for TCK DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Reinforcements for TCK DA

Just purchased a used TCK DA kit with TCK camber plates and bubba rear shock mounts, and with 300/600 TCK springs (flat ride @ 1.08). Planning on removing the rear sway bar for a 72.8% FRC. When the rear RACP was reinforced, I opted for the CMP solid subframe mounts to compensate for the geometry change - however they ended up lifting the rear ride height - so looking forward to being able to drop the rear back to a reasonable height with the TCK kit.

Anyway, wanted to ask on thoughts and suggestions for suspension reinforcements. Here's the cart I spec'd from RE.

1. Anything missing that I should be adding, or anything I'm adding that's really not needed/recommended?

2. The rear bump stops need to be replaced. But not sure on the suggested replacements. Are there different options for stiffness and bump travel and what's the standard recommendation these days?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	245
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	217442

2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
    2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Looks good to me, but I'd double check that thrust bearing is for two struts and not just one side.

Comment

I put in the Rogue articulating rear spring perches. They make ride height adjustments super easy. Pricey, but worth it.

D-O
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

The critical one is number 3 - the strut tower plates. The TCK coilover kit should have come with the RSM reinforcements. The rear spring perch reinforcement is a good option with the high rate rear springs and if the spring perch is mounted on the bottom of the coil spring. I have never seen item number 2.

Comment

I’d ask TCK about the bumps stops. That matters.

Comment

1. If you have a rear shock tower brace, you may not need the shock mount reinforcements as the brace mounts perform the same function. When you asked me about the reinforcements, I knew there was some reason I didn't use them on my car.

I don't recall noticing front spring binding with the TCKs while steering, so I'm not sure the thrust bearings are necessary. You might find some kind of insulating "washer" on the spring perches to be more beneficial from a NVH standpoint.

If you use strut mount reinforcement plates with the TCK camber plates, you might be able to get rid of the "load ring" on top of the camber plates to regain some bump travel. I'm not sure on this, so make sure everything still mates correctly.

I feel like BMW went out of their way to design the stock strut mounts and reinforcement plates with rounded edges to minimize strut tower fatigue at the edge of the plates. The Rogue SS reinforcement plates you have in your cart appear to have straight cut edges. If it were me, I would pay a little extra for the BMW plates.

Agree with D-O that you may want to consider articulating rear ride height adjusters. The TCK adjusters do make a little noise when the suspension droops significantly, The Ground Control weight jacks are similar to Rogue's perches, but have the control arm reinforcement built in. https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...ight-jack-pair

2. TCK sells the original bumpstops. Measure the shock shaft diameter and/or contact them to see which size you need, but I think this may be the right one: https://www.tcklineracing.com/webdoc...etails1151.cfm
            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

The E46 RE weight jacks also have built in reinforcement plates.
              Attached Files
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                The E46 RE weight jacks also have built in reinforcement plates.
                Ah, I see that now. The first picture on the site is the E36 version.
                2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Working...
                X