Remanufactured Caliper Questions. Missing M logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remanufactured Caliper Questions. Missing M logo

What do you guys make of this? Both purchased from Autozone, clearly from different “remanufactures”. Why do you think the one has hardly any stamping? Anyone have insight on this? I noticed on Rockauto that it specifies that certain ones are without the m logo.

The //M logo is owned by BMW. Aftermarket manufacturers cannot use it without infringing on the BMW-owned trademark.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      The //M logo is owned by BMW. Aftermarket manufacturers cannot use it without infringing on the BMW-owned trademark.

Okay, what about the one that still has the original stamping…? And the majority of remans I see online have the original stamping

Comment

I‘m not sure, but hasn‘t the 330ci the same caliper without the M stamping?
        …under construction.

Comment

Exact, there is other non M BMW model that share the same calipers as the E46 M3. It also happened to me while buying a rear caliper…
          2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Are the pistons the same size?
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

They do appear to be the same, I suppose I’m mostly curious which car they share calipers with now. Believe 330 fronts are still slightly smaller.

I’d say it’s also strange that any reman caliper I’ve ever bought at least had the Ate stamping on it still

Comment

I think 330 front calipers are the same, hence the pads are interchangeable. It's the bracket that's different. Someone with both should be able to confirm or deny.

Comment

Only difference between 330i and m3 front brakes are the brackets and the rotors.

the m3 uses thicker rotors (3-5mm iirc?) so they need a different bracket to get the spacing correct.

the pads are interchangeable.

Comment

Thank you guys! That settles it I suppose. Still don’t know why even the 330 calipers aren’t stamped at all

Comment

Originally posted by evanr614 View Post
                      Thank you guys! That settles it I suppose. Still don’t know why even the 330 calipers aren’t stamped at all
                      Back then, BMW didn’t put M badges over everything in every car.

Comment

Working...
                      X