How to remove the diff half shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the diff half shaft?

Looking at this half shaft with one end directly inserted into the Diff (with the circlip lock ring on the splined shaft as our M3) and the other end into the wheel hub, how the hell does one remove it without taking the suspension off the car?

Notice the helical lines cut into the shaft inward of the Diff oil seal section: this tells me it is for the left drive shaft. I think the cut lines to reduce oil leaking via the seal -- smart idea.

Also, the Diff end of the shaft seems to be more of a Tripod than a CV joint.

The plus: no bolts to remove or back out concern, less weight.
    The minus: more time to remove.

Click image for larger version  Name:	half-shaft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	218256
    Click image for larger version  Name:	half-shaft1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	218257
    Last edited by sapote; 05-18-2023, 04:57 PM.

Good question--maybe you have to pull the suspension. What vehicle is that part from? Is the E46 M3 not a bolted connection at the diff, and splined at the hub?

Comment

It's for Tesla Model S. I was looking at the car rear Diff subframe mount to see their design and how it avoids the floor cracking -- aluminum floor I believe. These EV Diff have much more torque at zero speed than our M3.

Comment

Interesting observation. At my work we are disassembling quite a few EVs for analysis; Tesla was one of them. I'll take a look at the next ones we tear down and talk to the guys involved about the shaft design; now I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
          Interesting observation. At my work we are disassembling quite a few EVs for analysis; Tesla was one of them. I'll take a look at the next ones we tear down and talk to the guys involved about the shaft design; now I'm curious.
          Please do give us your thoughts of the iX when you get one. We've already had to replace a front motor on one at my dealership.

The bad news is I've not seen an easy to remove axle in the rear like this. Suspension or subframe is gonna have to move most likely. If it's Tesla, I can imagine they weren't thinking about you removing it either.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
          X