What are the tools required for a Front Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the tools required for a Front Wheel Bearing

I was curious what tools you would suggest for replacing a front wheel bearing/hub. Which pullers did you use?

I did this recently, 46mm socket and I have a 2 jaw puller that worked.

Comment

Generic 2 or 3 jaw puller will take the hub off quite easily. From memory the inner race can get left behind on the shaft for which I used a smaller puller.

You can probably tap the new bearing back on until you get the nut started but I have the genuine installer tool since they aren’t very expensive at all, around 80$ or so. It makes the whole job stupidly easy.

E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Can you provide a link to the pullers you used?

Comment

I used a 10 pound slide hammer to pull the bearing off, then a 2 jaw puller for the inner race and bearing dust shield that was left behind. You can also cut off the race if you're super careful.

You will also need a 46 mm socket to get the nut off (that's what she said). I used this Facom because the walls are thin. I have heard (not confirmed) that some sockets won't fit.
          https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...roducts_id=640

I already had this Gearwrench puller set. I think I used the shorter arms (in 2 jaw configuration) for the race.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1​

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
          I have the genuine installer tool since they aren’t very expensive at all, around 80$ or so. It makes the whole job stupidly easy.
          This, definitely get the installation tool.
          p/n 83300491905
          Last edited by elbert; 05-26-2023, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Looking for POSI LOCK, 1/2 in – 5 in Jaw Spread, Caged Jaw Puller? Find it at Grainger.com®. With over one million products and 24/7 customer service we have supplies and solutions for every industry.

I got one of these. Absolutely fantastic!

Unlike the rear wheel bearings, the fronts are surprisingly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
              I used a 10 pound slide hammer to pull the bearing off, then a 2 jaw puller for the inner race and bearing dust shield that was left behind. You can also cut off the race if you're super careful.

You will also need a 46 mm socket to get the nut off (that's what she said). I used this Facom because the walls are thin. I have heard (not confirmed) that some sockets won't fit.
              https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/...roducts_id=640

I already had this Gearwrench puller set. I think I used the shorter arms (in 2 jaw configuration) for the race.
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1​

This, definitely get the installation tool.
              p/n 83300491905
              I almost ordered that FACOM Socket from Steve, but I was curious--does removal of this nut require an impact gun? That doesn't appear to be an impact socket so are you 1) using it as such or 2) just brute force bust it loose with a long ass breaker?

Comment

Good overview here

Comment

Bryson can confirm how well this version works to get the race out. I used it a few times.

Shankly Two Jaw Harmonic Bearing Puller and Gear Puller Universal Bearing Puller Tool or Pullers for Mechanics Heavy-Duty Pilot Bearing Removal Tool Small Bearing Puller https://a.co/d/6LA6tai

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

I almost ordered that FACOM Socket from Steve, but I was curious--does removal of this nut require an impact gun? That doesn't appear to be an impact socket so are you 1) using it as such or 2) just brute force bust it loose with a long ass breaker?
                    I am just using a chrome 46mm with an impact, who cares, it’s fine.
                    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

I've used the Facom with my impact gun for several wheel bearings. No problems so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X