Best quality S/S brake lines??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best quality S/S brake lines??

There was a comparo on the aftermarket stainless brake lines on that ol' rip forum.
    I forget what was recommended?
    Any input welcome.

They are not the cheapest out there but I have used Goodridge on my dedicated track car for the past 6 years and over 5k miles with no issues. Available at TireRack.

Comment

On stock calipers, I've run ECS lines for years with zero issues. They were pretty widely adopted at the time I purchased probably ~6 years ago. If you have a Brembo 996 BBK upgrade, stick with Rally Road.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Ok. Cheers for that.

Comment

These HEL are nice

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I’ve got HEL and had Goodridge before. You can’t go wrong with those two

Comment

I just put the TechnaFit lines on my car. They're the only stainless lines offered at FCP and I wanted to take advantage of the warranty should anything go wrong. There isn't a ton of detail on the ad, but these are stainless lines with a clear hose covering so the stainless isn't open to the elements.

FCP
              2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Cheers Guys. Will look into replacement ASAP.

Comment

Do you actually notice a difference in pedal feel from SS lines? Are you guys using them because you track the car? I understand the concept that rubber lines might flex with pressure but is it really that much?

Genuinely curious as I have upgraded most of my breaking system except for the lines but have been thinking about it recently.
                  Last edited by Cbouts; 05-11-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbouts View Post
                    Do you actually notice a difference in pedal feel from SS lines? Are you guys using them because you track the car? I understand the concept that rubber lines might flex with pressure but is it really that much?

Genuinely curious as I have upgraded most of my breaking system except for the lines but have been thinking about it recently.
                    I never have, though I still do have SS lines on my car. If you cut open the stock "rubber" lines, you'll find they have a kevlar braid surrounding the rubber hose.

Comment

Ya the whole SS line thing might have been trick decades ago, but really unnecessary since E46 era. I only run them due to 996 calipers, otherwise, I'd but OE (probably ATE).

The clutch line is even worse. The line is like a foot long so even if the stock part (FTE) were basic expandable rubber, which it's not, it'd only be over the distance of like 12 inches.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Are some kits 4 pieces vs 6 pieces? Do the 4 piece kits (like Turner or BW) just not replace the inboard part of the system?

Edit: poking through RealOEM, I'm not sure why Techna Fit would be a 6 piece kit? I only see one brake hose per corner?
                        Last edited by r4dr; 05-11-2020, 08:28 PM.
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Some of the best will have a swivel end, to prevent binding. But looking for the DOT approval is a good sign, the "whip" test that DOT does is important because cheap ones can break the fitting to hose connector.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                            I never have, though I still do have SS lines on my car. If you cut open the stock "rubber" lines, you'll find they have a kevlar braid surrounding the rubber hose.
                            That should only be a nylon cord. Tires have nylon cords and we know those flex plenty. That cord does very little to prevent the rubber hose expansion. Granted it's usually only as high temps on the track that one certainly notices it, but it's real.
                            The Teflon are a hose that does not expand. It has a slight covering and then wrapped by stainless steel braids for protection. This is about as good as you can get to the hard lines already used.
                            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 05-12-2020, 01:47 AM.
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Ya the whole SS line thing might have been trick decades ago, but really unnecessary since E46 era. I only run them due to 996 calipers, otherwise, I'd but OE (probably ATE).
                              The clutch line is even worse. The line is like a foot long so even if the stock part (FTE) were basic expandable rubber, which it's not, it'd only be over the distance of like 12 inches.
                              The brake system will always find the weakest link under pressure. Getting rid of as much you can is a benefit.
                              Don't get me wrong, the rubber type are good at a lot of things like flexibility and much safer (except for when hitting debris) that will more easily sever a rubber hose.
                              For street I would agree and say few will really notice it. But they really aren't that much and the rubber hoses go bad and soft over time.

And as for the clutch line change. I definitely felt I could notice that DD.

Comment

Working...
                              X