Home tire servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home tire servicing

Home tire installation and balancing equipment is looking very attractive to me right now. With multiple tire swaps a year and many shops refusing to mount tires not purchased from them, I am considering buying a tire changer and balancer. Any of you go down that rabbit hole already? Had the last straw today when a shop damaged my 19 competition wheels.

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
    Home tire installation and balancing equipment is looking very attractive to me right now. With multiple tire swaps a year and many shops refusing to mount tires not purchased from them, I am considering buying a tire changer and balancer. Any of you go down that rabbit hole already? Had the last straw today when a shop damaged my 19 competition wheels.
    Yes, this is making more sense everyday as mount and balance has become very pricey and there is always a chance they damage the finish on the wheel. Ideally, I'd chip in with a group to have access to a machine.

Comment

I have wanted one as well. I have 3-4 friends that agreed to go in on it together but we can't decide which one to get.

I have a motorcycle tire changer and it was 1000% worth it. It has paid for itself probably 3-4X over already.

Comment

I wish I had cool friends near by

Comment

No drawbacks, 100% worth it.

Comment

My track M3 gets 4-5 tire changes a year and AAA is perfect, cheap and takes tires from DT and TR without issue. I have better things to do with my time.

Comment

I've had one for about 15 years now, I'd recommend getting one with the helper arm and I would get a couple of the plastic spreaders/spacers to help push the tire down as well. I'd also stick with the metal duckbill as the plastic ones flex too much. Lastly, don't change any tires for other people, if they want it done they have to buy in and then they do it themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
                Lastly, don't change any tires for other people
                wouldn't this be desirable for the side income if you have the time?

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

If you have the business liability insurance.

Comment

And the second you damage a rim like slideways posted above, you're going to be in a bad situation that's just not worth it.

Comment

I used to have access to a setup and did my own tires. I've probably mounted and balanced over 10,000 tires in my lifetime. I find it fun, love doing it...weird I know.

The tire machine and balancer are one thing. You do need a rather large 240v circuit to run the tire changer and the air compressor. You'll need a good air compressor to seat tire beads - a 240v air compressor. You absolutely want a machine with a helper arm. It will have two arms - one with the shoe and another than holds the tire down. Then there's the work of mounting and dismounting. It is dangerous. Really easy to lose a finger or get smacked in the face with a pry bar. When inflating tires there's always a danger of the tire blowing off the rim. Not even talking about split rim and bias ply tires...you inflate those in a certified steel cage.

So if you do want to go this route, I recommend getting a job at a tire shop like Discount Tire or Firestone to mount and balance tires. You'll get the training and supervised experience. Spending $5k on a tire mounter/balancer can save money. An emergency room visit can quickly wipe out any savings.

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                      Liability will be a big issue if you're mounting tires on soccer mom cars. You have to know load ratings, speed ratings, and what each car requires. Likely no manufacturer warranties either.

Unless you are good at it, you'll feel underpaid if you're charging $30 per tire to mount and balance. I'm very good at it - I could beat all of the tire techs as a service advisor. I can do 4 low profile tires in about 20 minutes. It takes most noobs over an hour with help and practice.

Then there is the whole complication of tire disposal.
                      Last edited by bigjae46; 06-16-2023, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Quite frankly, this is why I work at a dealership. I have changed thousands of tires in my life here and at tire shops. It's all been under someone else's liability insurance. If I need a tire patched, it takes 20 minutes and I do it myself, the right way. I have access to someone else's tire machine and broad force balancer that I don't need to maintain and if they fail, I don't pay for it. A scratched wheel is annoying but then again, if you have a some minimum wage kid do your tires at a tire shop, you're gambling. I understand the DIY aspect of this as I've thought about it many times once I leave the dealer. With many tire shops, the mindset is wheels are a wear item and will get scratched over time so it sucks to suck. If we(my dealership) scratch a wheel here, we say something and the customer gets a free touch up. Wheels get scratched very rarely. This doesn't every mean dealership has techs with integrity and if they have a quick service, I'd not bother going there. Express lanes just have minimum wage kids with no experience like tire shops.

Most people on here have zero experience on how shops work and have never turned a wrench for a living. Working on your own car is not the same. I'm not discrediting people's ability to DIY however the way shops work is something most don't understand. If you are willing to spend the money for a nice tire machine set up, do it but understand the risk. I rarely agree with dealership pricing but in this particular, specific area, I will be going to a dealership without an express lane. You can also ask to see the shop and meet the tech working on your car. If you aren't allowed to do that, then I'd go elsewhere. Bigjae46 also has really good advice I'd consider.

I work It a dealership because I want the proper experience and equipment but I'm not willing to pay someone else to screw it up. If I have to pay someone, I prefer the least risk over the least amount of money.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                          My track M3 gets 4-5 tire changes a year and AAA is perfect, cheap and takes tires from DT and TR without issue. I have better things to do with my time.
                          care to elaborate how AAA helps with the cost of tire changes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post

care to elaborate how AAA helps with the cost of tire changes?

They are inexpensive and easy. I tip my one guy well and he makes sure he is the only one who touches the wheels. I don't need to screw with frequent tire changes on my track M3. Just drop them and pick them up a few hours later (I don't let shops beat on the studs with impact wrenches). As I said - no issue with installing tires from TR or DT.

Comment

Working...
                            X