Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubbing on upper front frame rail - anyone have experience with custom bumpstops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbing on upper front frame rail - anyone have experience with custom bumpstops?

My car rubs significantly on the front upper frame rails. There fender liner is relatively new and it has already worn through.

E46 Rub by dreamdrivedrift, on Flickr

My analysis is that the front suspension is too low, too soft, and has too much travel.
    It's currently on 400 lb 6.7" front springs at about 12.25 or 12.5" ride height. I'll raise it to 13" or 13.25" but it will probably not be enough to prevent all the rubbing.
    I would prefer to retain the 400lb spring rate for now to give "flat ride" a try and retain the handling balance.
    My understanding is that MCS has internal bump stops that cannot be adjusted, so it probably needs external bump stops for the suspension and then fine tuning with packers to limit bump travel.
    Has anyone had experience doing this? Just wondering where to start / what vendors to start with since I'd like for the bump stop to be a nice progressive non-abrupt transition.

Thanks!

what size are your tires? that is another factor
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
      what size are your tires? that is another factor
      275/35/18 MP4S
      Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 06-27-2023, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post

275/35/18 MP4S
        very wide ! depending on your rim width and offset and how low you are you might be rubbing it against the liner when you turn the wheel. You will hear it though. I would raise it up some and then look into 245 or 255 width tire if need be.
        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I have MCS1WNR with ARC8 18x9.5 et35 with 275/35/18 NT01 or 265/35/18 MP4S and with lower front spring rates, I would rub the fender liner quite a bit. I went to a much higher spring rate and I haven't rubbed since, albeit, my car is relegated to trackdays now.

Comment

No surprise it rubs

Comment

Interesting, the opposite problem from most folks! Add strut tower reinforcement spacers, and if your camber plates allow, swap spacers/shims around to push the strut down a half inch or so. No need to add bump stops, just get rid of the too much travel situation you have. It’s a combination of strut and camber plate that’s not jiving, especially with your taller than stock tires. If you bought them as a kit, you should let the assembler know to correct this issue.
              ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

At your ride height, that's when the stock suspension setup is almost completely bottomed out. No wonder it's rubbing.

Comment

Sounds like it's pretty clearly too low which will be addressed. Appreciate everyone's input. Tire size/diameter on my setup is similar to stock 235/35/19 or 225/45/18. I suspect I will still have the same issue after raising it ~1". I sent an email to MCS seeing if they have any external bump stop options I can use. If not, the Ohlin kit runs a similar front spring rate, which means retrofitting the Ohlins bump stop may be a backup option.

Comment

Don’t mess with bump stops! Just correct the metal-metal clearance issue by moving the strut top downward
                    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Update on this thread:
                      raised the car by about 1” up front to 13.25” and took it on a 100-mile loop through hwy 1 and some local backroads which Includes a lot of dips and camber changes. Rubbing issues pretty much entirely gone.

might still need some bump stops just for protection at travel limits, but it is so much better than it was and not as urgent now. I did email MCS but they were not very helpful in pointing me aim the right direction and just deferred to their vendors
                      Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 07-02-2023, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X