Cleaning piston in the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning piston in the engine

I have the head pulled off for cams and would like to remove the crap on the pistons because they're literally right there. How have you guys cleaned the pistons, if at all, and prevent debris from cleaning the head surface from going into the engine and cylinders too much?
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Unless it’s absolutely caked on from oil consumption issue and loose it’s a waste of time removing it all except the stuff that comes of easily with carby cleaner and elbow grease. Suck it out with vacuum
    Last edited by digger; 06-28-2023, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
      I have the head pulled off for cams and would like to remove the crap on the pistons because they're literally right there. How have you guys cleaned the pistons, if at all, and prevent debris from cleaning the head surface from going into the engine and cylinders too much?
      Follow your Sig.

Pull the motor from the car, take it apart and clean the piston ring land as well....
      then the "Domino Game Starts"...with the "while there might as well......"

Regards,
      Anri
      Last edited by Anri; 06-28-2023, 07:58 AM.
      https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

LITFA
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Pull the motor to change cams lol

Comment

Crc gasket stripper, let it sit, agitate with an old toothbrush

Comment

Enjoy

Comment

You wont gain anything. Leave it alone. In fact the slight build up raises compression. Unless you have a problem you may end up causing trouble to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                  You wont gain anything. Leave it alone. In fact the slight build up raises compression. Unless you have a problem you may end up causing trouble to yourself
                  I fall into this camp. Unless you’re prepared to go all the way I’d not touch it. It’s very unlikely that you end up with a scored cylinder wall but if you do you’ll be in for new pistons and the whole motor rebuild.

the bummer is you won’t even be able to stay with a stock rebuild at that point. So lots of questions and territory that is less predictable than where you started.

Comment

It depends what they look like, too much in the way of deposits can cause hotspots, a thin film will be back soon so not much use wasting time removing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Follow your Sig.

Pull the motor from the car, take it apart and clean the piston ring land as well....
                      then the "Domino Game Starts"...with the "while there might as well......"

Regards,
                      Anri
                      I'm doing cams so why would I remove the engine? My primary goal is to change the cams, not clean my pistons. I am following the BMW repair instructions through ISTA and AIR so I will do it right the first time.

Carbon creates hot spots and over time will cause pre-detonation. I just wanted to see what products people used and their process. There's nothing to lose with cleaning pistons. The loss of a minute amount of compression is worth avoiding damaging the engine.​

Comment

I'm doing cams so why would I remove the engine? My primary goal is to change the cams, not clean my pistons. I am following the BMW repair instructions through ISTA and AIR so I will do it right the first time.

Carbon creates hot spots and over time will cause pre-detonation. I just wanted to see what products people used and their process. There's nothing to lose with cleaning pistons. The loss of a minute amount of compression is worth avoiding damaging the engine.​
                        Are hot spots often causing pre-detonation on these cars? Not seen any posts related to that even with highly tuned high mileage motors.

You should definitely do what you feel is right, but after rebuilding my motor I’d touch as little as possible to reduce variables when it goes back together.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

Are hot spots often causing pre-detonation on these cars? Not seen any posts related to that even with highly tuned high mileage motors.

You should definitely do what you feel is right, but after rebuilding my motor I’d touch as little as possible to reduce variables when it goes back together.
                          It will be fine. I'm also not rebuilding my engine. The block is just hanging out in the car and will not be rebuilt because hone looks great. I just pulled the head is all.

Comment

For carbon to be there again by the next traffic light. Is like cleaning your toilet drain, the first dump you flush will go faster, then what? Use good quality fuel, change oil regularly and it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X