US to Euro conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US to Euro conversion

I want to import my 2003 M3 vert to Europe. For what I read I need a rear fog light and headlight washer system for my xenon headlights.

has anybody done this before? What parts/coding do I need?

Rear fog is something I'm researching....I recall seeing another forum where a member did it, you'll need to run some wiring from the LCM and swap the faceplate to get the rear fog button. Not a huge deal. The headlamp washers, I'm not sure.

Comment

Depending on where you are importing to. But I'm in Norway driving a locally registered and US imported M3. There are som technical differences between the US and Euro spec cars, however, at least for the norwegian legislation, there are a couple of paragraphs in the legislation that allows us to import, and more importantly, register an M3 here. I think this is due to the government and legislators actually using some common sense for once and approve of the US market type certification.

No mechanical changes were required to be made to the car as the paragraph recognises the US's legislating body for registration and type approval. Yours may vary though depending on where you live, and I've got a special note in my vehicle registration papers noting that it's imported and approved with reference to previously mentioned paragraph.

That being said, I'm not sure having rear fogs is a requirement for a car here in Europe? However lights on the car need to work according to our local laws... Also the Xenon with no washer is an interesting bit, as far as I have researched there was no legal requirement for headlight washers with Xenons in the US, but there was in Europe, but because of the aforementioned paragraph, if it was legal in the US then Norway approves :P The only online reference I found is this though so IDK https://www.carlightblog.com/2013/10...washer-system/ I do believe the beam pattern is slightly different though. Also I wouldn't have thought retrofitting washers to be the worst job ever.

Regards

Comment

I would start with stating the country, simply ‘Europe’ is too broad.

For example in Germany you would have to get Euro spec headlights, retrofit the rear fog light and the headlight washers.

But where I live, in The Netherlands, only the rear fog light would be required, US lights and Xenon without washers is fine here.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

I have imported mine from the US to Germany.

What is needed:
          - rear fog light holding fixture and bulb (one is mandatory, you can get a second one for symmetry If desired)
          - LCM with rear fog button (theres quite a few different part numbers depending in the options the car has)
          - kow beam healights: holding fixture and bulbs. The fixture is a separate part in the Euro assembly, you can drill a hole in your US assembly and glue it in, no need to waste money in a whole assembly.
          - USB Can cable and inpa/ediabas Software to Change the car coding to Euro spec.
          - documentation for any mods

Done.

I don't think headlamp washers are necessary. Manufacturers ar obligated to put them in for Euro spec xenons, but you are not required to retrofit them.
          I was asked at inspection once, I just stated its an import and does not have them.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
            I have imported mine from the US to Germany.

What is needed:
            - rear fog light holding fixture and bulb (one is mandatory, you can get a second one for symmetry If desired)
            - LCM with rear fog button (theres quite a few different part numbers depending in the options the car has)
            - kow beam healights: holding fixture and bulbs. The fixture is a separate part in the Euro assembly, you can drill a hole in your US assembly and glue it in, no need to waste money in a whole assembly.
            - USB Can cable and inpa/ediabas Software to Change the car coding to Euro spec.
            - documentation for any mods

Done.

I don't think headlamp washers are necessary. Manufacturers ar obligated to put them in for Euro spec xenons, but you are not required to retrofit them.
            I was asked at inspection once, I just stated its an import and does not have them.

That's about right. I did an import once and planning on a second one. Some additions.
            The LCM is not needed as a whole. Only the front plate with the extra fog light button. Its interchangeable.
            Headlight washers are mandatory. Only for 25W Xenon they are not mandatory.
            Also you need a technical data sheet either from the manufacturer or DEKRA.

This information applies to Germany.

Comment

How closely does TÜV look at every modification on the car? For example what about things like suspension bushings and bearings, engine trans and diff mounts? And what about modified exhaust sections, like a double resonated section 1 for example?
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                How closely does TÜV look at every modification on the car? For example what about things like suspension bushings and bearings, engine trans and diff mounts? And what about modified exhaust sections, like a double resonated section 1 for example?
                I would imagine they're fairly thorough, but wear items like bushings etc needs to be in good condition, not OEM new. Exhaust would need to be OEM or aftermarket with a TÜV certificate.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                  Bushings, bearings, and mounts are not an issue. I have passed all my 2 year check ups and I changed all of them. Also never heard of anyone else getting problems due to that.

Exhaust can be a PITA over here. I have a custom Setup with SS Headers, HJS Cats and scorza exhaust in my papers, but it does require some "creativity".
                  Section one with double resonators will definitely not work, as you will not pass the emissions portion of the inspection without cats. Unless you want to rob the car of power and run stock us headers with cats...

Basically my German title paper has three pages with a brief description of all the mods done to the car. That should answer the question on detail level...

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                    Bushings, bearings, and mounts are not an issue. I have passed all my 2 year check ups and I changed all of them. Also never heard of anyone else getting problems due to that.

Exhaust can be a PITA over here. I have a custom Setup with SS Headers, HJS Cats and scorza exhaust in my papers, but it does require some "creativity".
                    Section one with double resonators will definitely not work, as you will not pass the emissions portion of the inspection without cats. Unless you want to rob the car of power and run stock us headers with cats...

Basically my German title paper has three pages with a brief description of all the mods done to the car. That should answer the question on detail level...

Thank you, reason I ask about the exhaust is just a cost thing. Ideally euro headers and catted section 1 would be better but that’s a decent little expense, and wouldn’t be at the top of my list IF regular working US headers would pass. If US headers would not pass then of course I would have to reprioritize. Right now I’m just thinking ahead about if it’s worth bringing a car over there vs just buying a car in Germany.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Regular US headers will pass.

Comment

Correct, US headers will pass. Essentially they are doing the same thing. The cats are in the headers, since the US had tougher cold start requirement Back in those days.

Whether its worth it is an individual decision. As far as I know the cars value is similar. But finding one in good condition is getting increasingly difficult. If you are importing the car due to moving, its tax free. But gray market import also means less resale value.

Comment

Thank you, I don’t plan on moving full time, my wife is German and her family is all near Heidelberg so we are considering buying a house over there. I said my one condition is that if we do it, I also get to have a cool car over there lol. Just trying to weigh my options.
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                          X