E46 M3 Timing Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Timing Help Please!

Ok I'm at my wits end here. Last year I bulletproofed the VANOS (pretty much ALL the VANOS and timing assembly parts and upgrades as recommended) on my 2006 M3, did it all according to spec and hooray! Worked great. After about 1000kms, I got an error 184 engine light, checked INPA (Exhaust timing control etc, EVanos1 Control 0000B8 on Carly). The timing was set perfectly when I rebuilt but nevertheless pulled it apart, and saw exhaust cam was slightly out. I pulled off Vanos, adjusted cam with BMW tool, did everything exactly as Beisan, videos, everyone says and it all came together perfectly, even replaced exhaust cam position sensor, seals and gaskets, got a Beisan refurb Solenoid (did previously myself), and replaced elec connector and all should be great... or so I thought!

Same error same thing. Car seems to idle and run just fine (yes I know the error is causing some top end losses that are tough to feel on the butt dyno) but every 2nd run after clearing the error (sits in shadow memory, throws CEL on 2nd occurrence it seems), it just comes back. SERIOUSLY. What could be going on? Please help!!

Did you fully push both intake and exhaust splined shafts into the VANOS unit before installing the VANOS unit onto the head?

Comment

Problem might be that you are following as Beisan, videos, everyone says, they are all slightly different for various reasons.

Did you re-rotate the engine by hand to check for drift and readjust timing again?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

If it was a timing issue you'd have a code for too retarded or advanced. This may not be a timing issue but an electronics issues. The cams will be slightly off upon teardown.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by kevvygp View Post

Same error same thing. Car seems to idle and run just fine (yes I know the error is causing some top end losses that are tough to feel on the butt dyno) but every 2nd run after clearing the error (sits in shadow memory, throws CEL on 2nd occurrence it seems), it just comes back. SERIOUSLY. What could be going on? Please help!!
          It seems the vanos piston couldn't move due to oil is blocked, so I would clean the solenoid valve body.

Comment

Yeah unfortunately all the above done. Pushed pistons in fully, found the gear sweet spot, cleaned out the solenoid body fully (and pressure reg), cranked by hand to check tdc etc. And still the same thing. I'm truly baffled. At TDC on the crank the cam holes are straight up comfortable in the pins... Im going to try reset all adaptations but don't think that will do much. Thanks for the replies everyone

Comment

Originally posted by kevvygp View Post
              Yeah unfortunately all the above done. Pushed pistons in fully, found the gear sweet spot, cleaned out the solenoid body fully (and pressure reg), cranked by hand to check tdc etc. And still the same thing. I'm truly baffled. At TDC on the crank the cam holes are straight up comfortable in the pins... Im going to try reset all adaptations but don't think that will do much. Thanks for the replies everyone
              If the timing is good, it must be something with the solenoid or the connector. There is this thread where the guy fixed it by replacing the solenoid - https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threa...4-fixed.98621/

The rebuilt ones can be problematic once in a while. Mr. VANOS in the UK only replaces them with new genuine ones because they need to warranty their work.

Comment

Another thing to try is cleaning the valve body again.

Comment

My money would be on the solenoid pack, valve body, or wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                    My money would be on the solenoid pack, valve body, or wiring.
                    I second that, sounds like electronic control rather than mechanically out of spec.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to clean the solenoid out again, just in case. I doubt it's the actual solenoid control unit, as this error is happening with 2units, 1 recon with less than 30000 miles, and the Beisan one. Does anyone know how to check the wiring and electrical connections from the solenoid to the harness etc?

Comment

If it helps, here are my INPA diags. Sorry they are in German! I cannot get INPA to use English!

Comment

Oh yes and running the timing checks they hover around 9 degrees on both, and both dio to around 8.2 occasionally and hit 10 occasionally. Not sure if this is meaningful info

Comment

error 184 and 185 mean both cams cannot function via vanos. It sounds more like electrical connection/wiring, or the oil pump has no pressure to move the pistons.

Comment

The 185 Error only came up once, I think due to starting it all up after the VANOS reset and cleanup as described. It is gone now (and doesn't come back) so don't think it's oil pump. I have the new oil pump disc too, and the VANOS has done less than 30000 miles

Comment

Working...
                              X