Add LED for track mode indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add LED for track mode indicator?

I finally got around to enabling track mode. My car was produced in 2003/06 and a careful look with a strong flashlight confirms that I do have the track mode indicator. Unfortunately, it does not light up. I confirmed that both ANZEIGE_HOCKLADEN and DTC_LAMPE are both active and performed the cluster lamp test and still no indicator light. Unless there is something I have missed, it looks like I am going to have to live without it or solder in an LED.

Anyone ever solder in and LED for this? Any links to a good DIY? The one DIY I found was not great.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

D-O
    Old, not obsolete.

Spurred on by the M Track enable thread in the programming section I enabled M Track mode but was always slightly annoyed that I did not have the M Track LED in my dash. After swapping out the ‘Vert’ LED to the M track position I had an orange LED to indicate M Track mode. It was suggested that...

I might have extra 151 surface mount resistors or you can pull them off another circuit board. Use the convertible top LED.

Comment

I believe mine is setup to show the DSC symbol when in MTM (short button press) and when DSC is 100% off (long press) it then shows both DSC as well as the parking brake lamp in yellow.

The real deal MTM indicator would definitely be much nicer , may have to look into adding a resistor, but the current setup works.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Performed this mod on my car using the procedure....bought the LEDs from Amazon.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          I believe mine is setup to show the DSC symbol when in MTM (short button press) and when DSC is 100% off (long press) it then shows both DSC as well as the parking brake lamp in yellow.

The real deal MTM indicator would definitely be much nicer , may have to look into adding a resistor, but the current setup works.
          When it became clear that I had no LED I set DTC_LAMPE to not active to get this same configuration. As Cubieman said, works but the LED would be nicer.

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Motox6 View Post
            Performed this mod on my car using the procedure....bought the LEDs from Amazon.
            Very slick. Did you change the LED's for the gauge faces to blue as well?

I am not very experienced at soldering, and am a bit concerned about damaging the board - I have never soldered anything to a PCB. Guess I could get one off ebay and practice first.
            Last edited by D-O; 07-11-2023, 08:55 AM.
            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

My model year didn't have the LED in place so i ordered the blue LED. I did have solder the led in place but it's not as hard as you think. A decent soldering iron is cheap and like you said just practice a bit before you try.

Comment

Originally posted by Motox6 View Post
                The purple is the color I planned to go with also. Kind of a BMW Motorsport color that’s not obtrusive. How do you like?
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                  The purple is the color I planned to go with also. Kind of a BMW Motorsport color that’s not obtrusive. How do you like?
                  Right. Looks like you did more than add the track mode LED. Any more photos?
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I like it alot. I did change the cluster overlay. I will post some additional pictures.

Comment

Working...
                    X