Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

One or two online videos show DIYers trying to bleed the system while fighting friction and weight of the front tires on the ground. You can hear the power steering pump struggling. With the front end off the ground, the E46 system will be bled right off startup after one or two full turns of the steering wheel.
    Yep, do it with the wheels off the ground. Not sure now many turns lock to lock will do it, but it didn't take many and the fluid in the reservoir foamed up pretty much right away. I did maybe 10 turns lock to lock each way to be sure; check for bubbles in reservoir afterward and don't hold full lock for more than a few seconds.
    Last edited by PSUEng; 07-18-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

The steering system is inevitably going to leak, so you might as well buy a couple quarts.
      Lol - I'm replacing everything due to a small leak. I hope it does not continue leaking after I replace everything. Are you saying that the power steering system leaking is kind of an indefinite thing? I really hope not.... 🤞
      '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

One or two online videos show DIYers trying to bleed the system while fighting friction and weight of the front tires on the ground. You can hear the power steering pump struggling. With the front end off the ground, the E46 system will be bled right off startup after one or two full turns of the steering wheel.
        Got it. I'm pretty sure I've always done this with the car up in the air. I would normally check for leaks before putting the car back on the ground.

Comment

Working...
        X