To Sell or Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Sell or Mod?

I have a 2003 M3 and I’m trying to decide if I should mod/preventative maintain the car or sell it. I have an e92 M3 as well and that is the more loved car as it’s in better shape and stays in the garage.

The e46 has 113k is a 6 speed and was basically stock when I bought it. I’ve added borla section 3, eventuri intake and bmw ssk.

I have uninstalled - SGT coated headers, RE Diablo section 3, and I’m waiting on a turner air box if it ever shows up.

My dilemma is a don’t have space for both cars in the garage so e46 currrently sits outside. I have 3 young girls so time to tinker is at a premium. I know I have some large preventative maintenance projects to complete before modding and feeling safe driving hard. My daily driver is a beat up 05 xterra.

Should I sell e46 and go down to 2 cars and upgrade the daily? Maybe get an srt Jeep? Will adding the mentioned mods completely transform the e46 and make it a blast to drive?

I have full exhaust on the e92 so currently the e46 doesn’t compete in the fun department.

looking for some input. Maybe some of you guys have been in this situation before.

Thanks

Maybe sell me the e46, where are u located?

Comment

That's a tough spot and there is a lot of factors that go into it. Does the E46 have any sentimental value to you? What kind of financial situation are you in? What kind of climate does the car sit in (is the climate degrading/ruining it)? The list is endless. Basically it comes down to for you, would you rather have an e46 sitting in your driveway or the equity in your pocket/upgrading your daily. Sounds like you have a good driver quality car, so depending in condition it could get a decent amount of money + selling the mods separate. I personally don't know if I would ever get rid of mine, even if I upgrade to a 911. But time will tell I suppose.

If you can hold out, maybe wait until the virus is passed and the market is strong again. If you're selling super cheap to move it I could take on a project

Best of luck, my PMs are open if you want to chat about it.
      2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Is there any rush? I would say keep it if you can, and do things slowly. That's what I am doing between my M cars. Every 6 months or so I tackle a large project until the cars mostly completed. As far as space goes, you can always rent a cheap storage unit for ~$100 a month to keep the e46 out of the elements (if you're up north).

Modding the e46 is highly satisfying in my opinion, especially from stock, small improvements make huge differences in how the car feels. I don't have a CSL intake yet but have heard from many that it certainly gets people back into 'honeymoon' phase with their cars.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I like the ‘honeymoon’ reference lol. Thanks for the reply’s. I’m in Charlotte so sun/hail damage is all I would have to really worry about. I suppose a cover would help with that. No rush but I’ve been itching to upgrade the daily and the wife is giving me looks.

The next move was going to be headers, valve adjustment and vanos. I just get stressed thinking about all of the preventative work that needs to be done. Most bushings, vanos, subframe, rod bearings. It’s a pretty daunting list. I’m sure you guys could add to it.

If my girls were older I would keep it for sure as I enjoy working on it but the lack of free time is what’s making me consider selling it.

Comment

I got two youngin's as well, but 1/2 your car peoblems.

Yeah time is at a premium now, but it wont be at some point in the future. Keep the e46 me if you can. Storage ubut is a great idea. If not, look for a car cover. You will fins time to tinker, or I should say, you will make time when it is really that important for you. When it is not your primary transpirtation, it affords you much more luxury. And i have some great memories of my 4yr old helping hand me tools while working on small stuff on the m3.

i know when I put in Teds BlueBus and an oem microphone, hot damn I am back on the hot sex honeymoon phase with the car.

As for the jeep srt 8 meh. Best bud had one. HAD. It spent ao much time in the shop. During hia time, it went througg two diff. Not aure why, but it was literally in the shop foe over a month waiting for parts. Something else went with the trans and then something with the axles. He iant a car guy so hia details arent there for people like us. He did like the straight line speed, but he quickly said never again... it was a hassle and not worth it.

Comment

Can you elaborate on the teds bluebus and oem microphone? I’m confused lol

Comment

Sure.

Ted is the inventor. Developed a product that allows your phone to interface with these okd cars. Basically add a plug and play support for bluetooth. My car needed a mic, most have it in the overhead center spot. With blue bus, o can stream music and make phone calls.
                Also has a few other features (triple blink) that you can tap into.

i am not doing it justice so just hit this link
                A fully integrated Bluetooth module for your vintage BMW

Comment

I'm in the same boat, to sell or mod. I decided to sell. While there's less of the desirable models available as time passes, I still think you'll be able to get back in the e46m3 game at a later time if you decide to do so. I've owned 4 of them, and each time I buy another one its like I'm reliving my childhood dream. Peace
                  2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Sell and upgrade the daily. An E46 rotting outside is useless, but a good daily provides function every day. I'm in the same process of downsizing my collection (4). One 'fun' car should be enough, and if it's not then you have the wrong car.

Time and space are more important!

Comment

In your shoes I think I'd sell the E46. It occupies basically the same niche as the E92, and it sounds like you prefer your E92.

Comment

I appreciate your replies guys. Leaning more towards selling the e46.

Does adding headers and CSL air box completely transform the car though? Has anyone driven an e46 with headers and CSL box as well as an e92 will full exhaust?

I installed my e92 219M wheels on the e46 yesterday and it looks much better than the stock 67 style wheels.

Comment

I would sell the E46 if I was you, if I had 2 M3's and I liked one of them better I would sell the other. The E92 and the E46 scratch the same itch so there is no need to have both unless money and space was no object. If it was me personally I would probably sell the E92 and keep the E46 but that's just my personal preference.
                          2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
                          2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
                          Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

I'd get another house, with a bigger garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ob917 View Post
                              I'd get another house, with a bigger garage.
                              Haha I feel that.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                              2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Working...
                              X