CSL air filter status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL air filter status

ECS/Turner has raised their prices on the OE CSL air filter . . . . significantly

i sent them a message asking what gives, they confirmed the price, and suggested a new alternative that they're about to release soon

(polite) words cannot express how i feel about this at the moment considering the last one i bought was ~$100. you can currently source an OE CSL filter for about half the price elsewhere

It seems BMW itself raised the price on the filter, I used to be able to get them for around 100 EUR from the local BMW dealer here in Europe.
    If I check the number on their parts portal now, it shows up as costing 265 EUR.

The other retailers that haven't updated their price yet will soon follow once they find out their cost has increased, Turner just realized this quickly.

It's also good to note that BMW Germany currently has around 180 of these filters left in stock, I don't know what the volume is that these do (how quickly they sell)
    But purely from observations is that right before BMW runs out of a certain part, they will increase the price to cover placing a new order with the respective supplier.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

400 dollars for an air filter!?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
        Turner just realized this quickly.

imo their price adjustment is more aligned with their new lifetime replacement policy as well as an attempt to incentivize the purchase of their "cheaper" in-house alternative

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
          ECS/Turner has raised their prices on the OE CSL air filter . . . . significantly

i sent them a message asking what gives, they confirmed the price, and suggested a new alternative that they're about to release soon

(polite) words cannot express how i feel about this at the moment considering the last one i bought was ~$100. you can currently source an OE CSL filter for about half the price elsewhere
          Thanks for the post. I was shopping filters last night and could not believe my eyes

Off topic but what’s better for these air boxes - oiler or dry filters?
          '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Schmeidmann have them $180 + shipping

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, just copped four.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                Thanks for the heads up, just copped four.

Comment

IND selling them cheaper than Schmeid

Comment

I thought they were ridiculously expensive at $115 not even a year ago when I got my karb box. In hindsight should've bought a few...

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                      I thought they were ridiculously expensive at $115 not even a year ago when I got my karb box. In hindsight should've bought a few...
                      Same. Now I'm buying one to save for later 🙄
                      Having said that, I didn't buy extras because IIRC someone had a couple filters in long term storage, and they started to disintegrate because the oil reacted with the rubber seal.

Comment

IIRC the trick for long storage is to wash and seal the filter unoiled

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

Off topic but what’s better for these air boxes - oiler or dry filters?

that's a totally different can of worms

all BMC filters are oiled (red) from factory

except, for the one that BMW contracts them to make for the CSL airbox (filter element is clear in packaging)

although, its been documented that there's at least a small amount of some type of oil (clear in color) on these filters from the BMC factory

and also, BMC has told consumers it's fine to use their cleaner/oil kit on the CSL filter

i've kept my old filters over the years just because i can't bear to throw them away for being dirty.
                          $400 air filter prices might compel some of us to clean/reuse tho

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                            IND selling them cheaper than Schmeid
                            Yup! Just bought one from IND. Last one in stock, but they said they have more on order that are on the way.
                            '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Just get a BMC cleaning kit and clean and reuse the filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X