S54 Vanos codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Vanos codes

Hi everyone, i’m new here i have an e46 m3 6sp manual and i recently i have a lot of a power loss in lower rpm ranges, the vanos was replaced with a dr vanos by the previous owner 5 years ago, I pulled two vanos codes
    OxB8: Intake VAIOS Position Control : Bank 1
    0x43: Intake VANOS Advance Valve - Bank 1
    ​from my understanding from reading on @beisansystems.com/s54-vanos-procedure_e46-m3/
    ​site it says “ The generation of one of these codes will cause the DME to not utilize the vanos. Unfortunately the engine timing is left in the same position as when the failure occurred. Thus the engine will likely behave better at low RPM and worse at high RPM, or worse at low RPM and better at high RPM.”
    which makes sense as to why my car is running low power at the lower rpm ranges.
    My question is does anyone know if i can just replace the solenoid or if the whole unit must be replaced. I’m looking into replacing the whole unit with a dr vanos or beisan unit but it’s expensive and will take me at least a week to save up. Do you guys think i would be good to drive the car softly around to work and school? i believe my timing is just super advanced or retarted and not utilizing vanos system so wouldn’t i be safe to drive the car twice a day to work and stuff?
    i appreciate any knowledge you have to share.

Limping it home or to a shop is understandable, but continuing to drive it with those codes is not a good idea. The engine running poorly at certain RPMs can cause additional wear and tear, especially the low RPMs which are important for around town driving and warmup.

The solenoid exchange from Beisan is 150 which is a fairly low replacement cost when it comes to parts for this engine. The valve body can be cleaned out using the Beisan procedure and if that does not work, good used ones shouldn't cost much.

Comment

Originally posted by cnome View Post
      OxB8: Intake VAIOS Position Control : Bank 1
      0x43: Intake VANOS Advance Valve - Bank 1​​
      Codes say the intake vanos control not working; either the solenoid valve has bad electrical connection, or the oil path is clogged.

Comment

do you think that the solenoid is all i need? or should i just do the whole vanos unit all together. Also is there anything else i should look into replacing while i’m under the valve cover like tensioners or timing components?

Comment

Originally posted by cnome View Post
          do you think that the solenoid is all i need? or should i just do the whole vanos unit all together. Also is there anything else i should look into replacing while i’m under the valve cover like tensioners or timing components?
          It sounds like you need the car as a DD. Keep it simple for now and try a replacement solenoid pack.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7477.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	232898 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	232900 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7475.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	232899 everyone I’m new to the group I’m having hard time finding the issue on my car took it to couple shops still no results,its running rich strong smell of gas when the car is on it’s like it cant adjust at idle I ran Autel scanner and test vanos it says inlet vanos not adopted I did also clear vanos adoption,my car is fully build HPF stage 3 single turbo pro efi 128 stand alone also tuned I didn’t rebuild the vanos
            do u guys think if I cleared the vanos takes the tune off ,I’m gonna change the camshaft sensor on exhaust side next couple days, any help I would really appreciate it,

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X