Need help on injector issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on injector issue

Tldr - Injectors freshly serviced, but getting open circuit and misfire codes on cyl 6.

Longer - Coming home from Gridlife LRP, I had a blast chasing down a Panamera through the CT country roads. Ended up bogging down with misfires in 1, 3 and 6. Would go away after the car cooled down, then come back once at temp.

Took it home, replaced the plugs and coils. Still same issue - fine when cool, misfires and open circuit codes in cyl 1 at temp.

Replaced the fuel filter. Same issue, same cyl.

Added in some bolts that were missing connecting my section 2 to the header, thinking maybe there was an exhaust leak. Same issue, same cyl.

Finally decided to pull the injectors and send them to RC Fuel Injection for servicing. 1, 3 and 4 were dripping. After servicing, all 6 were in excellent condition.

I just put them back in, install went smoothly, but now the issue is different. Misfires right at startup, even when cold, and now in cyl 6. Wtf.

I’ve checked the connection between the harness and the injector and it seems to be seated correctly. The only thing I can think of is maybe the harness was damaged when I was removing the injectors. 6 was a bit of a bear to get removed, so maybe I broke it in the process? No obvious signs of damage though. Should I test voltage or something from the harness? I don’t really know how to do that.

Please help!​

How many miles on the motor? Possible broken head gasket?

Comment

164k. I wouldn’t think the symptoms would change so acutely before and after injection install if it were only the gasket. Mot saying the gasket isn’t an issue, but I think there’s probably more there

Comment

Pulled the injectors again and the harness on 6 is chewed up. Any idea on how easy or difficult it is to fix this?
        Attached Files

Comment

First thing I would do is depin the wires and very gently try to tighten up the fit on the injector pins. If that fails to work you could buy a pig tail.

Or you could buy a new connector and pins and crimp them onto the factory harness. You would need the proper crimper to do that.

Comment

There is probably a repair kit. Or find someone with a crap harness that is willing to cut one off.

Comment

Back with misfire issues, different symptoms, different cylinder.

TLDR: Car runs great until I pushed it a bit (110mph). Got P0202 and P0204 - injector circuit open and misfire in cyl 2. Letting it cool down a bit made the problem and CEL go away.

Longer story: I gave up after my last post and let the car sit. Came back to it a couple weeks ago and replaced the battery and checked compression. Compression on all cylinders were between 170-180. Started it up, and magically it seemed to run fine even on longer drives.

Went on a group cruise this morning and we were doing the usual highway cruise things - WOT accel and higher speeds (110mph), nothing crazy though, it’s a mature group. The first thing I noticed was a temporary lack of power under throttle, almost like clutch slip. That went away quickly though. Soon after it was driving rough and lost power, similar to my previous misfires but without limp mode. CEL popped at that moment.

I pulled out of the group and slowboated it home. After sitting at a stop light for a few, suddenly the CEL went away and the car drove fine.

I’m at a loss for what to do next. Some notes as a reminder of where things stand:

- New fuel pump
              - New fuel filter
              - New spark plugs
              - New coils
              - New battery
              - Serviced injectors
              - Strong compression
              - Misfires occur in different cylinders and only when engine is pushed
              - 165k miles​

Comment

interesting and puzzling. wish i had some observations to inject. tuned in for the solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by m3llow View Post
                  Car runs great until I pushed it a bit (110mph). Got P0202 and P0204 - injector circuit open and misfire in cyl 2. Letting it cool down a bit made the problem and CEL go away.without limp mode. CEL popped at that moment.

- Misfires occur in different cylinders and only when engine is pushed
                  - 165k miles​
                  If the injector open circuit code happened randomly to different cylinders, then i think the issue is the common 12v wire/connector from Dme to the injector rail.

A quick test : cut off that 12v wire at the rail then add jumper wire to it, rail side, and to the fender jumper 12v.

Comment

Working...
                  X