TPS related codes/limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS related codes/limp mode

Had the EML and ABS/Brake light come on with limp mode, my buddy scanned with his SnapOn and he said there was 4 codes related to TPS, he could only remember it said potentiometer 1 and 2 before he cleared them, we were in a hurry so unfortunately he didn't save them before clearing.

The car went into limp mode 2 more times producing these 3 codes:

(2nd limp mode code recorded)

Code 230: Throttle valve system set point deviation

(3rd limp mode codes recorded)

Code 118: Throttle valve potentiometer 1 signal
    Code 120: Throttle valve signals inconsistent

TPS below airbox was replaced a while back but I don't remember if I replaced the TPS nearest the oil filter housing, I could see how this one could go out as it is very hot there.

Could the 3 codes listed be produced by a bad TPS by the oil filter?

I also have a "Pedal Commander" throttle mapping deal that was installed by a previous owner but it goes into limp mode so infrequently it was impossible to say whether or not that is an issue.

Thanks, I know this has been covered before but just trying to not throw parts at it.
    Last edited by Cubieman; 09-25-2023, 05:27 AM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

I think you are on the right track with the other TPS. I don't have any real insight of value to offer other than this:

The screws that attach the TPS near the oil filter housing turn into soft butter over the years. Remove the engine hoist hook and be careful with them. I was lazy and stripped one and had to use the Dremel wheel, flathead method. One of the many things that turned a 20 minute job into an hour job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

The screws are pozidrive not Phillips so be aware when removing. I plan to use socket cap screws when I replace mine.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
        The screws are pozidrive not Phillips so be aware when removing. I plan to use socket cap screws when I replace mine.
        Yea, I used a deal that let's a 1/4" ratchet take a regular screwdriver bit, I forgot the bolt size but when I did the TPS under the airbox I replaced the factory bolt with some hardware store allen heads.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
          Using a ph2 in place of a pozi will definitely do this.

I'm sure 99% of diy'ers here use a phillips for that.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Using a ph2 in place of a pozi will definitely do this.

I'm sure 99% of diy'ers here use a phillips for that.
            Sure, that probably works. I bought some Wiha PZ bits for not much on Amazon, might as well use the proper tool instead of risking rounding it off. Or, use a JIS "Phillips" driver.

Comment

I am half tempted to buy a throttle actuator and/or pedal. The pedal isn't that expensive ($120) but a genuine actuator is about $1100 which sucks, but it's one of those items that would be cool to have, so would a spare engine.

My S85 genuinely needs to have some actuators on the shelf but it doesn't seem like we hear much about the S54 units failing, at least I haven't.

I am under the impression my codes are related to one of the sensors being 15% or more out of line than than the others, I'm pretty sure INPA or other software should read values so one could compare. I believe the snapon scanner did this as well.

Instagram

Comment

I'm in the same boat with code 230. changed the tps sensors but didnt helped. i have ordered a new actuator for 486€. OE part is "PIERBURG 7.14328.12.0". If you can't source it write me a pm and I will help you if you want.
                2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
                  I'm in the same boat with code 230. changed the tps sensors but didnt helped. i have ordered a new actuator for 486€. OE part is "PIERBURG 7.14328.12.0". If you can't source it write me a pm and I will help you if you want.
                  👍👍👍
                  I think this is the one and includes the TPS
                  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...vD_BwE#fitment
                  Last edited by Derek //M; 10-01-2023, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X