Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help! Can’t connect to emissions computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help! Can’t connect to emissions computer!

Sorry lots of background info…..I’m at a loss trying to get my car to pass TX emissions test and need help!!!

background , purchased dream car ‘04 m3 6spd back in 2009 as a collector weekend car. After a year of driving it I was not able to pass texas emissions as the state computer could not connect to it. Basically the computer would say something along the lines of “trying to communicate” and it would just time out after 90 seconds stating communication could not be established. (Standard obd2 scanner connected fine , showed all systems nominal, emission systems checks complete and full drive cycle complete as well). I also checked glove box for blown fuses paying close attention to the dme/obd2/on board diagnostic fuses visually and with multimeter and all were good.

Had other projects going on, family and work assignments so car has sat in storage until now. Keep in mind, this was/is my dream car and I’m never selling it. Therefore having it sit in a garage (maintained) for almost 14 years was not a big deal for me.

now I’m finally ready to get this guy on the road. Fresh oil, coolant, fluids, tires, new battery etc…..still gotta deal with the emissions test.

Went to the dealership and pulled service history which showed the voluntary recall /TSB for the software update regarding obd2 communication issues in 00-04 models was performed. I ran dme thru bmw scanner v1.4 and it’s coming up as the following version (see pic) is that in line with updated software post TSB?. I did notice there is no mileage shown on dme and live data button is grayed out if that matters. Also there seems to be a couple of internal error codes on the ghost memory. Is mileage stored in dme also? In addition to the IKE (cluster) and LCM (light module)?

where do I go from here? Would performing the tx inspection at the dealer be any different? I thought they all use the same state computers so having bmw specific dealer software wouldn’t help any would it? Somebody suggested it to me but I’m not buying it.

I really at a loss as to what to do next…,,I’ll probably end up towing the car to a dealership in the coming weeks to get the airbag recall done and just ask them to try to do the inspection and if it won’t connect to reflash or update software (if newer version is available) to see if that helps. I was thinking maybe this was caused by some botched tune the original owner did, but after looking at service records and dme user fields it looks like dme software was updated after I purchased car when I brought it in to replace window regulator under supplemental extended warranty. So it should have a fresh software copy in there no? Would that have overridden any funky tuning or programming previous owner did (if he did do that)

any words of advice on what to check next? (Besides putting it back into storage until 2029 when I can register it as a classic without the need for obd2 tests…..or converting it into a track car which I won’t do, I have another beater m3 for that) lol

Attached Files
    Last edited by Mackshackm3; 09-28-2023, 02:46 AM.

For what its worth i get the same errors in BMW Scanner 1.4 for my DME after i clear errors, I think those errors is something the software is doing not necessarily an issue with the DME. The BMW Scanner 1.4 seems to be pulling some info from the DME as we can see the SW version the DME is running.

Can you see any live data from the DME with the software?

Have you tried using INPA to see any data?

What i typically use before going to get Smog check is using Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and use OBD Fusion on my phone, this app has an Emissions readiness test which should tell you if your car will pass emissions

Comment

A tune can screw this up. I have a thread about this somewhere back. I couldn't pass emissions in NC due to connectivity with our state's emission equipment. You can reflash to a base tune and the vehicle should connect to the equipment and pass the emissions test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Fresh1179; 09-28-2023, 08:47 AM.
      2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by elrichmeister View Post
        For what its worth i get the same errors in BMW Scanner 1.4 for my DME after i clear errors, I think those errors is something the software is doing not necessarily an issue with the DME. The BMW Scanner 1.4 seems to be pulling some info from the DME as we can see the SW version the DME is running.

Can you see any live data from the DME with the software?

Have you tried using INPA to see any data?

What i typically use before going to get Smog check is using Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and use OBD Fusion on my phone, this app has an Emissions readiness test which should tell you if your car will pass emissions
        thanks for the feedback. I can not see live data on bmw scanner. I’m able to see live data and all emissions systems ready on generic obd2 scanner though. It’s just that when I go to the inspection station it just says “connecting” for 90 secs then it timed out and says “could not connect” 🤷🏻‍♂️. Tried 2 different locations. I ordered the cable for inpa last night, hopefully it’ll shed some light on the issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
          A tune can screw this up. I have a thread about this somewhere back. I couldn't pass emissions in NC due to connectivity with our state's emission equipment. You can reflash to a base tune and the vehicle should connect to the equipment and pass the emissions test.

that was my thought….maybe the original owner screwed something up. I’m a bit of a newb when it comes to e46 m3 running. How are the dme software and “tune” related to each other? Is a tune modifying the original dme software? So if I go to the dealer and get a dme software update would that overwrite any custom tune I have? Vice versa, if I get a new custom tune from a reliable source, would that be overwriting the existing (possibly messed up) software I currently have?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

This - reflash stock tune and perform a drive cycle to activate monitors.
            '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

I'm in Texas to buddy !

So I can't pass either
              But that's because I'm running CSL software for my
              CSL Intake.

To pass inspection you can deff ask around some car guys
              And they can help you pass
              Car doesn't have to be present either

I'm in north Texas
              There's a BMW group on Facebook for that area
              People are quite helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Mackshackm3 View Post

that was my thought….maybe the original owner screwed something up. I’m a bit of a newb when it comes to e46 m3 running. How are the dme software and “tune” related to each other? Is a tune modifying the original dme software? So if I go to the dealer and get a dme software update would that overwrite any custom tune I have? Vice versa, if I get a new custom tune from a reliable source, would that be overwriting the existing (possibly messed up) software I currently have?
                Some tuners lock their tune. I had all sorts of issues with an Evolve tune and their crap proprietary desktop software. Not a problem since switching to a PCS tune.

Comment

Maryland Emissions computers will error out but then reconnect and work. It confuses the tech each time. So maybe just keep trying?

Comment

Working...
                  X