Fitting 18x10.5+22 squared on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

They also have a lot of good info documenting the changes in suspension geometry as you interchange parts, but my brain is not completely woken up in order to understand all of it, lol.
    https://mrtengineering.fi/pages/front-suspension-tech
    Sucks that it cuts off at the E36. Great info.

What scares me about MRT’s setup is the massive amounts of adjustability which increases the chances of screwing it up. I’ll have to reach out to them at some point and get a feel for what kind of support they offer.

It’s like buying coilovers - the money spent on the hardware is half of the cost. Getting it setup is the real expense. Better support lowers the setup costs significantly. BW has decent support, Turner used to be a lot better at support which is non-existent. I’ve had great luck with TC Kline, he’s been spot on every time.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post

Mostly straightforward to install, but the RTAB location design allows for some adjustment on install to account for toe adjustment range, so took a couple tries to get everything in the right place to allow for enough toe adjustment during alignment. Also will need to check clearance at full compression, I have adjustable upper and lower rear arms and at full compression the upper arm was pretty close to hitting the knuckle, but it did just clear.

As far as what Millway said, I certainly won't claim to know more than them on this stuff, but I'm having trouble understanding what they mean. The image below is the kit I have, unless I'm missing something it seems pretty clear that if you install the eccentric RTAB as in this picture, the front of the trailing arm will now be positioned higher in the chassis than stock, resulting in a raked angle of the trailing arm toward the rear of the car. Similar to if you were to raise the ride height. The disadvantage of this kit (same with the Millway) is now the spherical bearings are smaller and therefore theoretically will have a shorter service interval. My idea at least for the front location was to instead design a different RTAB mounting bracket where the bolt holes are simply higher in the chassis (maybe multiple holes), allowing you to get the same adjustment but with a factory style RTAB. Just comes down to clearance you have up inside the RTAB pocket.

Below are some pics of the MRT kit, as mentioned it's bump steer and roll centre only with no change to the steering ratio. Threw in CSL knuckles too at the same time.

The parts in the blue arm LOOK like they’d only compensate for 1/2-3/4” of lowering.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
      X