Coilover Conversions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover Conversions.

What’s the general consensus of the Ground Control’s and TCK’s coilover conversions? I can’t find much in the way of reviews on them. Any reason they aren’t talked about much?

Both are quality kits and have a long history in road racing. I've run TCK duals on my track car for 9+ years. You can contact both companies directly and they can customize for your specific needs.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
      Both are quality kits and have a long history in road racing. I've run TCK duals on my track car for 9+ years. You can contact both companies directly and they can customize for your specific needs.
      Hopefully we are on the same page and I was clear in my post. I’m talking specifically about their conversions that turns regular Koni’s into coilovers. I know their off the shelf ready to go coilovers are great.

Comment

I like these coilover conversions, but only in the right conditions, which I'd say are:

1. You don't want or need to spend $3k
        2. You'll be sticking with stock like or "OEM+" spring rates. I don't think konis or billys can handle more than about 400/600lb
        3. You're ok with only a mild drop or will recapture travel loss with front camber plates or even GC "tall" RSMs

I really loved my bilstein B6s with GC conversion when I used 325lb 7" front spring (for sale btw ) and 550lb rear. I had TMS front plates which gave back about 5/8" travel, and "tall" GC rsms. I ran them at 13.6" front & 13.25" rear. I also trimmed the internal billy bump stop a little.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Pics
          koni on the left, then modified to fit bilstein b6 (right)
          Attached Files

Comment

I've had TCK DA's with modifications on for 12 years.

I'd spend 3k on them again but my uses for the car have changed so now I'm gonna spend 4k.

TCK's are great for this car if they're setup well.
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              I like these coilover conversions, but only in the right conditions, which I'd say are:

1. You don't want or need to spend $3k
              2. You'll be sticking with stock like or "OEM+" spring rates. I don't think konis or billys can handle more than about 400/600lb
              3. You're ok with only a mild drop or will recapture travel loss with front camber plates or even GC "tall" RSMs

I really loved my bilstein B6s with GC conversion when I used 325lb 7" front spring (for sale btw ) and 550lb rear. I had TMS front plates which gave back about 5/8" travel, and "tall" GC rsms. I ran them at 13.6" front & 13.25" rear. I also trimmed the internal billy bump stop a little.
              Konis (Sport/Yellow) have a ton of range. Depending on how you define being able to handle a certain spring, in rebound at least they can control just about any spring rate you'll reasonably throw on the E46.

Are the TCK Konis any shorter than the standard sport? To your point 3 I'd say camber plates are definitely a requirement. In the rear, less of an issue.

Comment

But they feel like shit to me. I've had several sets of konis. They couldn't handle 400/600 very well on comfortable settings, but when you slow the rebound they got harsh, car felt jittery, not confidence inspiring - I just never liked them except at fastest setting with eibach prokit which I thought was decent. With B6, they're not adjustable, and it was getting too bouncy (not slow enough rebound) with 400/600 for me (light car to boot). 325/550 felt composed enough (with travel reclamation) for me so that's my advice as far as spring rates with these stock replacement dampers.

You want to run 400/650-800? Get real dampers imo.

I believe tck singles only have shortened rears. D/a kit are both shortened. Same with GC.

Comment

But they feel like shit to me. I've had several sets of konis. They couldn't handle 400/600 very well on comfortable settings, but when you slow the rebound they got harsh, car felt jittery, not confidence inspiring - I just never liked them except at fastest setting with eibach prokit which I thought was decent. With B6, they're not adjustable, and it was getting too bouncy (not slow enough rebound) with 400/600 for me (light car to boot). 325/550 felt composed enough (with travel reclamation) for me so that's my advice as far as spring rates with these stock replacement dampers.

I believe tck singles only have shortened rears. D/a kit are both shortened. Same with GC.
                  Good point. The Konis are well matched for ~500lb rear springs at their softest setting. When you stiffen them they build a ton of force at low speed which makes them harsher and lose grip. I take back my previous comment.

Comment

This.

I recommend you look at MCS (Motion Control Suspension). These are Motorsports-level dampers that are (IMO as well as others) probably the best out there. Their 1WNR damper is a great entry point for combined street / light track use. Their 1WNR damper is the spec damper required in the SPEC E46 series. They can valve these dampers to any spring rate you wish and are rebuildable here in the US.

I use the 2WNR damper on my track car and without a doubt it is the best system I've used.

Dampers Buyers Guide | Motion Control Suspension | Motorsport & Premium Dampers

Comment

Originally posted by S54330Ci View Post

This.

I recommend you look at MCS (Motion Control Suspension). These are Motorsports-level dampers that are (IMO as well as others) probably the best out there. Their 1WNR damper is a great entry point for combined street / light track use. Their 1WNR damper is the spec damper required in the SPEC E46 series. They can valve these dampers to any spring rate you wish and are rebuildable here in the US.

I use the 2WNR damper on my track car and without a doubt it is the best system I've used.

Dampers Buyers Guide | Motion Control Suspension | Motorsport & Premium Dampers
                      So....what if he drives the car on the street? You want to bang up top dollar dampers on the road where they will never even be stressed? Not to mention the shorter lifespan.

Too many MCS fanboys running around. Having chest pains? Just put some MCS on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

So....what if he drives the car on the street? You want to bang up top dollar dampers on the road where they will never even be stressed? Not to mention the shorter lifespan.

Too many MCS fanboys running around. Having chest pains? Just put some MCS on it.
                        Whoa there brother. My suggestion is just that, a suggestion based on personal experience (I've also run Koni and Bilstein so I do have some justification for my suggestion). No need to flame on me. Maybe there are lots of "MCS fanboys running around" because MCS is a top tier damper.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Good point. As a reference on what a good street coilover is, I have a set of Ohlins RnT on my 335d that have almost 70k miles on them, damaged from potholes and tapping a curb and being beat on around many corners and yet they are just now worn out and ready for a rebuild. That's pretty ideal for a quality damper that works well on the streets, backroads and track.

Plus it only costs $500 to rebuild Ohlins so that helps considering a lot of coilovers require a pricey rebuild at some point.
                          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I love how everyone just completely ignored the OP. He's looking at this https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...w-e46-m3-01-up

Not actual coilovers. He means to retain off the shelf Koni shocks.

Comment

I'm sure they work fine, but don't go too low or you will run out of bump travel. You also won't get any street cred, which is very important. In other words, they are pretty much useless for most people.
                              2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Working...
                              X