Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST XTA Help?

Hey guys!

I've been on this suspension for a couple years now and barely drive the car. In hindsight, terrible decision to go with coilovers for a purely daily driven/street car. It's just not comfortable enough for me. I recall having SGT coilovers when those first came out and being surprisingly very smooth. My question is, is there anyone running this setup that has been able to tweak for comfort? I'd prefer not to do another suspension overhaul and make what I've got work instead. Is swapping springs an option?

I know suspension in general is a topic that gets beat from every perspective. In a simpler world, I'd just buy a stock setup from FCP and dump these coilovers. Just curious if anyone has got a refined setup with height and dampening adjustments that are good for street use.

Sorry for rambling!

I used to have ST coilovers.

In my experience, I could not do anything to make them bearable, so I searched the old m3 forum and settled on TC Kline double adjustable coilovers. They are more comfortable than stock suspension on the street.

That said, they are almost too comfortable so I am looking to get stiffer rear springs. Stock may be a cheaper option, but TCK is a better option.

Good Luck. YMMV.
    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

From a tuning standpoint, ST's are some of the worst shocks I have ever seen, which is weird because they are owned by KW and the KW's are some of the best (V3). No wonder you can't make them ride good.

Comment

Weird indeed, Apparently the XTA have the same internals that the KW V2 does. Regardless I didn't find my XTA's too horrible, certainly firm, even on their lowest rebound setting, but certainly not unbearable. That being said I swapped to their newer XTA4+ or whatever they're called for control over compression, in addition I added KW V3 progressive springs.

Tbh I would consider KONI yellows and Eibach springs if you want to stay away from coilovers, but have heard good things about TC Kline if you want more adjustability.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
          I used to have ST coilovers.

In my experience, I could not do anything to make them bearable, so I searched the old m3 forum and settled on TC Kline double adjustable coilovers. They are more comfortable than stock suspension on the street.

That said, they are almost too comfortable so I am looking to get stiffer rear springs. Stock may be a cheaper option, but TCK is a better option.

Good Luck. YMMV.
          TC Kline was 2nd choice at the time of purchase for me. It was a budget thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
            From a tuning standpoint, ST's are some of the worst shocks I have ever seen, which is weird because they are owned by KW and the KW's are some of the best (V3). No wonder you can't make them ride good.
            Honestly, that is why i went with them. I had a set of KW V2s on an e92 coupe that were great! Assumed it couldn't be this bad

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
              Weird indeed, Apparently the XTA have the same internals that the KW V2 does. Regardless I didn't find my XTA's too horrible, certainly firm, even on their lowest rebound setting, but certainly not unbearable. That being said I swapped to their newer XTA4+ or whatever they're called for control over compression, in addition I added KW V3 progressive springs.

Tbh I would consider KONI yellows and Eibach springs if you want to stay away from coilovers, but have heard good things about TC Kline if you want more adjustability.

Regards
              I've highly considered going Koni Yellows with either Eibach or H&R Springs for a bit of a drop. Then getting camber plates, but then I'm back in the same ball park as coilovers.

Comment

I kind of hate my e60's V3s

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I kind of hate my e60's V3s
                  What did you hate about it?

Hard to say if it's comparable without seeing the dynographs. Could have been a different guy tuning that setup, or they weren't adjusted properly. They have quite a lot of range so easy to screw up with just 1 or 2 clicks.

Comment

Curious as well. Ran the V3s on a couple different cars and thought they were pretty darn good. They need a rebuild?
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

What did you hate about it?

Hard to say if it's comparable without seeing the dynographs. Could have been a different guy tuning that setup, or they weren't adjusted properly. They have quite a lot of range so easy to screw up with just 1 or 2 clicks.
                      Honestly, I think I'm jaded by flat ride. It just feels very pitchy.

Currently trying to find the e60's motion ratios, so I can hopefully swap springs to get it into flat ride range, but so far the internet doesn't seem to know-- might have to measure myself.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by supersan View Post
                        Hey guys!

I've been on this suspension for a couple years now and barely drive the car. In hindsight, terrible decision to go with coilovers for a purely daily driven/street car. It's just not comfortable enough for me. I recall having SGT coilovers when those first came out and being surprisingly very smooth. My question is, is there anyone running this setup that has been able to tweak for comfort? I'd prefer not to do another suspension overhaul and make what I've got work instead. Is swapping springs an option?

I know suspension in general is a topic that gets beat from every perspective. In a simpler world, I'd just buy a stock setup from FCP and dump these coilovers. Just curious if anyone has got a refined setup with height and dampening adjustments that are good for street use.

Sorry for rambling!
                        What spring rates do these come with? If you can get them into flat ride territory, things will settle down a lot.

But if comfort and performance on the street are priorities, stock springs with OE, Koni or Bilstein dampers would be a good move.
                        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

What spring rates do these come with? If you can get them into flat ride territory, things will settle down a lot.

But if comfort and performance on the street are priorities, stock springs with OE, Koni or Bilstein dampers would be a good move.
                          No clue on spring rates. It's not real clear on the website unless I'm just a dummy and can't comprehend.

I'm thinking I should be able to just swap spring kits, but again it's not real clear on the website

Comment

I used xta for track mostly. I had a close to flat ride spring setup with 650lbs linear rears. It was bearable for the most part but nothing compared to stock. The xta factory progressive rears were the worst. Also had hotchkis front sway bar if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
                              I used xta for track mostly. I had a close to flat ride spring setup with 650lbs linear rears. It was bearable for the most part but nothing compared to stock. The xta factory progressive rears were the worst. Also had hotchkis front sway bar if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              legit sounds like i just have to dump this setup lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X