Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Rebuild LSD Upgrades Bimmerwold/ Diffsonline

Hello everyone,

My first post sad M3 Forum is gone but kudos to whoever put this forum together.

Anyways my question was how long does the M variable Clutch last? I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my LSD since I will have everything dropped while doing subframe reinforcement. When I was looking at the "Diffsonline" different diff clutch upgrades it had said that the M Variable Clutch only lasts 80K miles typically. I wanted to know if that was true. Also has anyone tried different lsd clutch upgrades? I might supercharge the car (ESS 525 kit). Is it necessary to rebuild the diff now that I have 90K miles? and Two watch LSD clutch would you guys recommend? When I called Diffsonline they were selling me hard on the Custom Clutch 3. Also PS I rarely track the car, it is a weekend spirited car although on those spirited drives it can very well feel like a track day sometimes. Anyways hoping someone can guide me as to what they think what I should do? Do install the same M variable LSD? Upgrade the LSD? or keep the same LSD evn though some suggest the LSD should be shot by now.

Thanks.
    This is BMW parts item E46M3Diffsonline described as E46 M3 Diffsonline Custom Performance Differential, which you can buy online at BimmerWorld at the best price.

TBH if you arent going to track the car and you havent had any issues with what you have then I would just get him to rebuild/refresh the M-variable core (I am pretty sure Diffsonline does that).

I have no personal experience with the custom 2/3/4clutch jobs Diffsonline and others do but my mate had a 2clutch one and said it snapped in an out very aggressively... he changed to a OS Giken and has been very happy since as it is a more progressive locking - I went the Drexler path and am very happy, nice progressive locking - very quality part.

The more clutches the more progressive it should be so 3 clutch should be more refined then my mates 2clutch... but it will be more aggressive than the original M-variable...

I am a huge advocate fro traditional clutch plate LSDs vs variable/viscous LSDs but from the sound of your use you need to weigh up the cost... if you can get a refreshed M-variable that will probably suffice otherwise the sales pitch from Diffonline for the Custom 3clutch is spot on for you describes use without breaking the bank... you just need to weigh up the extra cost vs the fact its cheaper to do it while you're there...

From my experience driving my mates car I believe the OS Giken is probably the best clutch plate LSD for cars that see mostly street miles due to its negative preload (but it is a step change more expensive than the custom 3 clutch from memory)... it drives very easily on the streets and comes on very progressively - I have just heard they cop a beating and wear out quickly if they hit the track - hence I went with a tried and true Drexler as I will track mine a bit and have a connection with the distributor here...

Comment

Working...
    X