Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K&N Intake vs Eventuri - Sound Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N Intake vs Eventuri - Sound Difference?

Hey all,

So I bought the K&N intake and want a bit more sound to the engine. Sounds good at full tilt, but could be louder. Mainly bought it for the CARB sticker, but at this point, I think I just want more noise.

Would there be a difference in sound between the Eventuri intake and the K&N intake? Would the increase in noise be worth it?

I would rather like to do a CSL box, but seems like it would be a pain to swap out and retune every 2 years or so for my SMOG check. Thoughts?

I haven't heard K&N intake yet, so my only frame for reference is the stock intake. I got my Eventuri Intake earlier this year, and it sounds great.
    here is video with the windows down recorded on my phone. Car is all stock except for eventuri intake

Comment

Originally posted by elrichmeister View Post
      I haven't heard K&N intake yet, so my only frame for reference is the stock intake. I got my Eventuri Intake earlier this year, and it sounds great.
      here is video with the windows down recorded on my phone. Car is all stock except for eventuri intake
      Thanks for by that. Need to really hear it in person to tell but sounds great!

Comment

If it's sound you're after, IMO, the eventuri is the only stop-gap that I found to be remotely satsifying until full on csl conversion. AFE/Dinan/gruppeM/B-line are all just a tick better than stock in the sound department whereas Eventuri has the signature "CSL" style of sound, just not nearly as loud and intense as the real deal.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          If it's sound you're after, IMO, the eventuri is the only stop-gap that I found to be remotely satsifying until full on csl conversion. AFE/Dinan/gruppeM/B-line are all just a tick better than stock in the sound department whereas Eventuri has the signature "CSL" style of sound, just not nearly as loud and intense as the real deal.
          Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

Like with most things for this car, it's often best to save up and do it right the first time. However, depending on your personal desires/expectations, there are some gems out there that occupy a middle ground in the cost vs reward game. Like euro headers/cats, the eventuri provides most of the enjoyment/quality of the CSL conversion, but for a much lower cost/headache (retain maf).

Comment

I have been thinking about this same thing lol. I have the AFE intake which is largely the same as the K&N, and I bought it cheap/used for the same reason as you. I want to be okay with it but curiosity is getting the better of me.

One thing I've found is, it's extremely hard to film an accurate sound video, for two reasons. First, actually getting a high quality recording with an external mic, where the audio level isn't clipped and you don't just record wind noise is difficult and requires practice, and the right kind of gear. Most clips you find out there are not well shot or mixed. Second, the way you listen to the video will dictate how loud you think it is. Like if you watch it on your phone it's going to sound a whole lot different than if you watch it in your home theater with surround sound. So it's basically it's not worth much.

You have to ride in a car that has the setup you want if you REALLY want to know what it's like, because even the best sound clip videos are inherently flawed.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                However, depending on your personal desires/expectations, there are some gems out there that occupy a middle ground in the cost vs reward game. Like euro headers/cats, the eventuri provides most of the enjoyment/quality of the CSL conversion, but for a much lower cost/headache (retain maf).
                Well said - and why I recently purchased the Eventuri.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                  I have been thinking about this same thing lol. I have the AFE intake which is largely the same as the K&N, and I bought it cheap/used for the same reason as you. I want to be okay with it but curiosity is getting the better of me.

One thing I've found is, it's extremely hard to film an accurate sound video, for two reasons. First, actually getting a high quality recording with an external mic, where the audio level isn't clipped and you don't just record wind noise is difficult and requires practice, and the right kind of gear. Most clips you find out there are not well shot or mixed. Second, the way you listen to the video will dictate how loud you think it is. Like if you watch it on your phone it's going to sound a whole lot different than if you watch it in your home theater with surround sound. So it's basically it's not worth much.

You have to ride in a car that has the setup you want if you REALLY want to know what it's like, because even the best sound clip videos are inherently flawed.
                  Have you ridden in an e46 M3 with the CSL box? If so how was the difference?

The reason I went with the mods that I have are all due to CARB/SMOG. I've never had a car as old as this and the fact that I have to smog it every 2 years makes me not want to mod as much. So far I have the K&N Filter and a Dinan Stage 1 tune. haha I love modding though!

I spoke with Kevin at EAS and he told me that it would cost $350 each time to install/uninstall the CSL box so I'm trying to see if its worth $700 every 2 years to keep the CSL box. I'm afraid if I ride in a car with one, I may have my answer. (Of course I can try and install it myself, but seems fairly complicated).

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

Have you ridden in an e46 M3 with the CSL box? If so how was the difference?

The reason I went with the mods that I have are all due to CARB/SMOG. I've never had a car as old as this and the fact that I have to smog it every 2 years makes me not want to mod as much. So far I have the K&N Filter and a Dinan Stage 1 tune. haha I love modding though!

I spoke with Kevin at EAS and he told me that it would cost $350 each time to install/uninstall the CSL box so I'm trying to see if its worth $700 every 2 years to keep the CSL box. I'm afraid if I ride in a car with one, I may have my answer. (Of course I can try and install it myself, but seems fairly complicated).
                    You can uninstall and install it yourself for free. It's really easy.

The Eventuri is about 55% as loud as the CSL airbox, sounds amazing honestly. For 1/4 the price of the CSL airbox and way less hassle, it's worth it.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I'd say it's closer to a 1/3 of the full airbox, but agree it's a quality buy whether an appetizer or your final choice for induction.

Comment

You guys got me going down the rabbit hole now about the CSL intake. Seems like Turner has a matte version with all the trimmings and tune for about $3k.

i may need to look into that as I may be able to justify the price since I’m assuming I’ll not need an aftermarket exhaust due to the intoxicating induction noise?

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
                          Seems like Turner has a matte version with all the trimmings and tune for about $3k.

i may need to look into that
                          Noooooo! Do it right or don't do it at all.

Speaking of non-CSL intakes, I've been very happy with my Gruppe M. I got it used though, at the new price you might well save up for a Karb. It made a nice difference in tone and certainly functions better than the open Eventuri.

As for the exhaust, I have been happy staying stock. Consensus seems to be the aftermarket stuff drones, but others can answer that better than me. Regardless, the intake sound is what you want. Nothing better than hearing the ITBs at full tilt over 6k rpm.
                          Last edited by 01SG; 11-16-2023, 05:43 AM.

Comment

I had an Eventuri installed for about a month. Really liked the sound but it convinced me I wanted more so I sold it and bought a Karbonius box.
                            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
                            Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
                            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

Noooooo! Do it right or don't do it at all.

Speaking of non-CSL intakes, I've been very happy with my Gruppe M. I got it used though, at the new price you might well save up for a Karb. It made a nice difference in tone and certainly functions better than the open Eventuri.

As for the exhaust, I have been happy staying stock. Consensus seems to be the aftermarket stuff drones, but others can answer that better than me. Regardless, the intake sound is what you want. Nothing better than hearing the ITBs at full tilt over 6k rpm.
                              Ah, do you mean do it right as in don’t get the turner box or don’t get the Eventuri and get any CSL box? Haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X