PDC Retrofit Technical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDC Retrofit Technical Question

I wanted to ask if someone here has Technical information on the original BMW PDC Retrofit Kit offered years ago by BMW. I found someone who has a complete original OEM BMW PDC Retrofit Kit but it was manufactured for a e46 sedan with a build date of 3/2001 or later. I have a e46 M3 coupe with a production date of 2/2001. Would there be any issues trying to retrofit the sedan OEM BMW PDC Retrofit Kit to a coupe? I would think that the CanBus for sedans and coupes were similar along with modules but I could be wrong. Also what about production date would one month make a difference? I would think that the early BMW PDC system would be interchangeable between sedan, coupe, and convertible since it was so basic. Can anyone provide any input on this?

The only difference is between the E46 PDC kits. Are the wiring lengths due to the location difference of where the module is

On the coupe and the sedan The PDC module is located in the trunk passenger side behind the carpet wall. Same exact spot and the wiring length is only different by maybe centimeters. I believe I have a coupe PDC kit that I removed from a coupe in my sedan currently

The only ones that you need to be worried about are convertible and touring

​​​​​ tourings have the PDC module under a false floor in the center of the car behind the rear seat and convertibles have the module next to the rear passenger seat behind the speaker wall

I recently parted out a convertible to make an M3 wagon and I pulled the entire PDC system from the convertible and when I put the PDC module in the touring location, The sensor harness wasn't a problem but the power harness was short so I had to extend five wires for my setup

In your case you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
      The only difference is between the E46 PDC kits. Are the wiring lengths due to the location difference of where the module is

On the coupe and the sedan The PDC module is located in the trunk passenger side behind the carpet wall. Same exact spot and the wiring length is only different by maybe centimeters. I believe I have a coupe PDC kit that I removed from a coupe in my sedan currently

The only ones that you need to be worried about are convertible and touring

​​​​​ tourings have the PDC module under a false floor in the center of the car behind the rear seat and convertibles have the module next to the rear passenger seat behind the speaker wall

I recently parted out a convertible to make an M3 wagon and I pulled the entire PDC system from the convertible and when I put the PDC module in the touring location, The sensor harness wasn't a problem but the power harness was short so I had to extend five wires for my setup

In your case you will be fine.

I had a feeling that was the case. So basically all e46 PDC systems are the same with exception of the harness length?

When retrofitting the PDC system is there any coding needed?

Also is there any differences within the build dates?

Comment

Need to add the pdc option code with NCS. Technically on OE setups the 03.5+ cars use the K-bus to determine the reverse signal timing and earlier use a direct wire to the reverse signal. The official retrofit harness also uses a direct wire. Either way will work.

Personally I just pieced together my own kit. The sensor harness is available from bmw outside of the kit. The module supply harness is not, but it’s like only 6 or 7 wires so it’s easy to build your own harness.

Comment

I don't have anything to add here in terms of how to retrofit. I did just pull my PDC unit out the car. (snipped wires unfortunately).

Actual box is still completely intact. Also have a plethora of old wire if you want to salvage

If you're US based and would like the stuff for it let me know and I'll be happy to provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
            Need to add the pdc option code with NCS. Technically on OE setups the 03.5+ cars use the K-bus to determine the reverse signal timing and earlier use a direct wire to the reverse signal. The official retrofit harness also uses a direct wire. Either way will work.

Personally I just pieced together my own kit. The sensor harness is available from bmw outside of the kit. The module supply harness is not, but it’s like only 6 or 7 wires so it’s easy to build your own harness.
            So based on my understanding, using a PDC retrofit kit, I am using a direct wire from the kit to splice into the existing wiring that sends the reverse signal to the tail lights thus activating the PDC for reversing. No NCS programing needed.

BMW used to sell PDC retrofit kits that could be used to retrofit non PDC cars. These kits included everything you needed. The issue is BMW discontinued the retrofit kit. I actually found someone that had an old OEM PDC retrofit kit but for a sedan. From nextelbuddy​'s response, the coupe and sedan are the same minus the wiring harness being a few centimeters long/short which should be easily worked around. I ended up buying that retrofit so it should literally come with all parts and have an OEM fit/finish. Just didn't know if there was programing needed to get the PDC to work but based on your response since I have an early car 2/2001, it is hardwired into the existing car's wiring to activate.

My next project is retrofitting Auto-headlights to my 2/2001 which I heard was possible with the updated LCM module, new windshield with light prism, wiring to the car, and NCS programming. I just have to search old 2003-2010 e46 threads on retrofit details. Hopefully I can pick up the latest e46 LCM version so I can program more features like triple turn signal blink and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post
              I don't have anything to add here in terms of how to retrofit. I did just pull my PDC unit out the car. (snipped wires unfortunately).

Actual box is still completely intact. Also have a plethora of old wire if you want to salvage

If you're US based and would like the stuff for it let me know and I'll be happy to provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I actually bought an OEM retrofit PDC kit so I should have everything I need. I will keep you in mind if I need anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

So based on my understanding, using a PDC retrofit kit, I am using a direct wire from the kit to splice into the existing wiring that sends the reverse signal to the tail lights thus activating the PDC for reversing. No NCS programing needed.

BMW used to sell PDC retrofit kits that could be used to retrofit non PDC cars. These kits included everything you needed. The issue is BMW discontinued the retrofit kit. I actually found someone that had an old OEM PDC retrofit kit but for a sedan. From nextelbuddy​'s response, the coupe and sedan are the same minus the wiring harness being a few centimeters long/short which should be easily worked around. I ended up buying that retrofit so it should literally come with all parts and have an OEM fit/finish. Just didn't know if there was programing needed to get the PDC to work but based on your response since I have an early car 2/2001, it is hardwired into the existing car's wiring to activate.

My next project is retrofitting Auto-headlights to my 2/2001 which I heard was possible with the updated LCM module, new windshield with light prism, wiring to the car, and NCS programming. I just have to search old 2003-2010 e46 threads on retrofit details. Hopefully I can pick up the latest e46 LCM version so I can program more features like triple turn signal blink and other things.
                I think it'll probably still need coding with NCS at least once since the out of the box coding isn't necessarily applicable to your car.

The direct wire vs k-bus reverse signal actually isn't coding dependent. The module will just go with whatever it can see.

Comment

I think it'll probably still need coding with NCS at least once since the out of the box coding isn't necessarily applicable to your car.

The direct wire vs k-bus reverse signal actually isn't coding dependent. The module will just go with whatever it can see.
                  Understood. Would you happen to know if there were different versions of PDC per production date?

If I use a PDC module from a later e46 on an early e46 will that module look for the k-bus vs direct or is it dependent on the car itself?

The kit I bought was for production date 3/2001 or later but my car is 02/2001 production date.

Comment

Understood. Would you happen to know if there were different versions of PDC per production date?

If I use a PDC module from a later e46 on an early e46 will that module look for the k-bus vs direct or is it dependent on the car itself?

The kit I bought was for production date 3/2001 or later but my car is 02/2001 production date.
                    I attached the retrofit kit PDF, perhaps that will help you.
                    Attached Files
                    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

It should be fine either way. I'm pretty sure I'm using a module from a 2001 car, but it picks up the K-bus signal fine. Later modules also pick up the direct wiring fine. All E46s broadcast the reverse signal over the K-bus regardless, so it simplifies wiring slightly to skip the reverse wire. But it's nbd either way

The build date stuff probably has more to do with mounting the actual sensors to the bumpers (which if you're using a non-M3 kit anyway, is a bit irrelevant here)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

I attached the retrofit kit PDF, perhaps that will help you.
                        Thank you so much for that. I am printing this out for reference.

Comment

It should be fine either way. I'm pretty sure I'm using a module from a 2001 car, but it picks up the K-bus signal fine. Later modules also pick up the direct wiring fine. All E46s broadcast the reverse signal over the K-bus regardless, so it simplifies wiring slightly to skip the reverse wire. But it's nbd either way

The build date stuff probably has more to do with mounting the actual sensors to the bumpers (which if you're using a non-M3 kit anyway, is a bit irrelevant here)

Good point, I am guessing I will need e46 M3 parking sensors and not the sedan version ones that came in the retrofit kit. I finally got the retrofit kit, while I did spend a little more for it, I am glad I did because it literally comes with everything brand new.

I am hoping that the retro fit will go smooth. Once I have it fitted, I will report back.

Thank you for all your help, Terra.

Comment

Working...
                          X