Best replacement for OEM shifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best replacement for OEM shifter?

My car has the stock shifter, it's seen better days and I'm looking to get a ZHP shift knob for it. Do I just get the knob, or should I get the whole assembly? I would be looking at the F10 M5 shifter:

Is this shorter than the stock shifter height? What is the best solution to freshen up my gear lever situation?

That is the one I have. It is shorter than our OEM and works very well with our interior. like it came with it.

Oh $h!t....I just looked at the price of those now. I got mine for $90. You have o cut the boots of the shifters o make it work though, so I don't know if I"d pay $238 just to have an illuminated one. I guess you could try to glue it on the E46 frame. But for that price???

E46 ///M3 Imola Red
    996TT FVD'd Arena Red
    C3 Corvette White/Graphite
    F31 328d Alpine Weiss

Gone, but not forgotten:
    S52 M Roadster
    S54 M Roadster
    Volvo V70R

Comment

The F10 shift knob has illumination while the ZHP one does not. The F10 also needs the boot frame transferred from the E46 shift boot. They are both slightly shorter than stock.

Comment

• scubastove
        scubastove commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I think I would need a whole new shift boot as well since the OEM shift knob and boot seem to be a single piece (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/25112282450/)

What would be the most cost-effective solution here? Looks like getting an aftermarket shift boot and a ZHP shift knob?

• Slideways
        Slideways commented
        Editing a comment
        Using the ZHP knob, you can reuse the stock one piece shift knob/boot by cutting the boot portion from the knob. Then invert the boot, install on the shift lever, secure the top portion with a zip tie on the shift lever, and invert again and install the boot on the console. Finally, install the ZHP knob. That is the most cost-effective solution. I got the F10 one when it was $125, so cost was pretty reasonable a few years ago
    Working...
    X