Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Vert Color Change Wrap - Avery Gloss Aqua Blue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Vert Color Change Wrap - Avery Gloss Aqua Blue!

Rambling story time!

So back at the beginning of the pandemic, I had the bright idea to vinyl wrap my 2015 F80 M3 from mineral white to gloss light blue (Smurf blue). It was a lot of work, especially since I've never wrapped a car before let alone seen a car that was vinyl wrapped. At that time, I was living in a condo with a community underground garage that had mosquitos and people coming in and out. It was trying, but since it was the beginning of the pandemic and the real estate business slowed down, I figured that I would try it out. It came out great, although it took me like 9 days to wrap it since my wife kept asking me to come up and help with my son. 🧒 A lot of sweat, bug bites, youtube views and achy hands went into the wrap job.

When I was done, I posted about it on BP and my post was actually featured on the front page! Pretty cool. Well, sold that car a year later to another BP member and bought a Tesla model Y performance. Yet, immediately I started to pine for another M3.

Here's a link to my post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1730482

Fast forward 2 years, and after 2 years of constant nagging to the wife how my life was miserable without a fun car, she relented and I was able to snag a Carbon black e46 M3 manual vert in MINT condition! I told her I would NOT mod this car since I was older and more mature. I would leave it alone and drive it on sunny days. Well, things did not go as planned. Since I had my F80, I've also acquired another child and much to my chagrin, even going out for a spirited drive was difficult. I just couldn't find the time. I bought the car in June of 2023 and have yet to break 500 miles. You know that this does to a man? It makes him yearn. It makes him mod. It makes him search websites for parts and dream of how I can build this car to exactly the way I want it. You know what they say...idle hands.........

After I wrapped my F80, I told myself I’d never wrap a car again, unless certain conditions were met. I would need to be in my OWN garage, that was temperature controlled and enclosed. I would also need to have a daily driver so I can take my time and not worry about driving the car while being wrapped. I would also need to be able to take off most of the trim/rocker panels and store them safely so I can properly wrap said items. Check, check and check! I was fortunately enough to buy a home with an enclosed garage earlier this year, so although I initially bought the car without the intention of wrapping it, all my conditions were met, so I just HAD to.

So, I started looking up different vinyl wrap colors. Fun fact, I've always wanted a 911(actually had a 996 that I bought with my sister back in 2005, but my sister mainly drove it) and I even had an allocation for a 992 back in 2022, but my wife said HELLZ NO. The reason I bring up the Porsche is that my favorite color has always been Miami blue. This is where those two worlds collided. I found a vinyl wrap company that makes a wrap in a very similar shade to Miami blue: Avery Dennison Gloss Aqua blue! So this is what I decided to wrap my car with.

I also bought some new exhaust tips, a carbon fiber diffuser, a new CSL style spoiler and a coolerworx short throw shifter. Merrry early Xmas to me! =)

So after 2 weeks of disassembly and fitting in time to wrap a panel or two, I am finally done. Yay to achy hands!

I hope you guys enjoy the photos of the progress and have a great and happy holiday season! I know I will, cruising in my MIAMI BLUE VERT! =)

PS: You want to know what the HARDEST part of the whole thing was? Not the actual wrapping of the vehicle. It was TAKING OUT THE BASE OF THE ANTENNA! that damn POS. Only vert owners would go through this though. 😒

PPS: Oh, and I have a hardtop, that I completely forgot to wrap. Doesn't matter since I ran out of material. Maybe next time.

Thanks for looking!

Julian

Attached Files

Starting to wrap as well as install some new parts!
    Attached Files

Comment

Almost done, but waiting for the spoiler!
      Attached Files

Comment

Look what came in today from UKRAINE! woo hooo, the cherry on top!
        Attached Files

Comment

Car looks good! Enjoy!

maw

Comment

Looks good man, did you think about taking a swing at doing the diffuser and leaving the area around the carbon in the middle exposed? Tbh that would be a huge improvement. Whenever I see the unfinished diffuser look, I’m just like, why
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              Looks good man, did you think about taking a swing at doing the diffuser and leaving the area around the carbon in the middle exposed? Tbh that would be a huge improvement. Whenever I see the unfinished diffuser look, I’m just like, why
              yea I’ve been thinking about that as it would be a ten minute job, tops. But I felt that it broke up the amount of blue in the back.

I’ll try out out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                Was able to pop the diffuser off this morning and wrap it as suggested. OMG looks so much better! haha Thanks!
                Attached Files

Comment

car looks great!!

- where did you get the wing from? is that a turner highkick spoiler?
                  - do you have any full pics of the car? i'm interested in seeing how the car looks with the spoiler (top up/down)
                  Last edited by sg.e46m3; 12-08-2023, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
                    OMG looks so much better! haha Thanks!
                    Yeah, they only look good offset against the color of the car, actually.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by sg.e46m3 View Post
                      car looks great!!

- where did you get the wing from? is that a turner highkick spoiler?
                      - do you have any full pics of the car? i'm interested in seeing how the car looks with the spoiler (top up/down)
                      Is from an eBay seller in Ukraine. It’s only for the Vert though. From ordering to delivery it took about 1.5 weeks. Only $150 but you’ll need to paint it or wrap it like I did.

very cool rear trunk spoiler for bmw e46 convertible. made by us in design and very cool fit. you will really be happy. you can put it how you want. it can be glass sealant or double-sided tape. check out my other ads. there are many unusual details. Sincerely!

Comment

this is pretty cool, also curious to see pics of you car with top up/down for the spoiler
                        | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

I’ll take photos of the spoiler with the top up later but you can see from the photos of it already down.

i rarely drive with the top up but do use it at times when parked.

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

Was able to pop the diffuser off this morning and wrap it as suggested. OMG looks so much better! haha Thanks!
                            Yes! Definitely the right move. Looks great man
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                            X