Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think prowlers look good lol.

Comment

I think the E46 is the best looking which is a major factor, all facts aside. It's the perfect blend of boxy, bulbous, muscular, etc. that just makes it look great even 23 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        I think the E46 is the best looking which is a major factor, all facts aside. It's the perfect blend of boxy, bulbous, muscular, etc. that just makes it look great even 23 years later.
        Very few cars under a 100k draw my attention like the E46 M3.
        Last edited by oceansize; 12-15-2023, 09:36 AM.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

this is what's kept me from getting an E9X over the years, Bangle's flame surface styling really stole a whole generation of greatness from BMW on looks alone

Comment

This. It's the Grace Kelly of automobiles.
            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Very few cars under a 100k draw my attention like the E46 M3.
              And this.
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I think the whole concept of internal combustion is more romantic than functional in 2023. Regardless of where you fall on the innovational spectrum, it only takes one time in a Tesla, Rivian or even Ford Lightning to understand the future of daily transportation. E36, e39, e46.. shit, even the e90 (which I think is noisy and numb) will provide an experience you would not otherwise have, if driving does something more than transportation for you. Cammisa is still an influencer; a good one at that.
                Last edited by 02_lsb; 12-16-2023, 03:08 AM.
                Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                  I think the whole concept of internal combustion is more romantic than functional in 2023. Regardless of where you fall on the innovational spectrum, it only takes one time in a Tesla, Rivian or even Ford Lightning to understand the future of daily transportation. E36, e39, e46.. shit, even the e90 (which I think is noisy and numb) will provide an experience you would not otherwise have, if driving does something more than transportation for you. Cammisa is a still influencer; a good one at that.
                  Agreed. It’s like a dinner with your spouse on a special occasion. Do you want to cook it in a microwave or on the grill/stove and smell the ingredients, feel the heat from the pan, hear the meat sizzle, modulate the flame so it cooks just right…. Most nights require something quick from Chipotle or the like, but sometimes a little something more is welcomed.

Comment

I think the whole concept of internal combustion is more romantic than functional in 2023. Regardless of where you fall on the innovational spectrum, it only takes one time in a Tesla, Rivian or even Ford Lightning to understand the future of daily transportation. E36, e39, e46.. shit, even the e90 (which I think is noisy and numb) will provide an experience you would not otherwise have, if driving does something more than transportation for you. Cammisa is a still influencer; a good one at that.
                    It was clear to me as early as the early 2000's when brushless r/c cars and LiPo's became popular. They were instantly faster than nitro. There is just no reason anymore to run a nitro car unless you like tinkering and enjoy the sound/smell - electric is better in every way possible. It took another 10 years for full-size cars to catch on but the same principles are true.

Comment

It was clear to me as early as the early 2000's when brushless r/c cars and LiPo's became popular. They were instantly faster than nitro. There is just no reason anymore to run a nitro car unless you like tinkering and enjoy the sound/smell - electric is better in every way possible. It took another 10 years for full-size cars to catch on but the same principles are true.
                      Holy moly, never put that together. Oddly enough my first R/C car was an E46 shell, loved going to the hobby shop.
                      | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

I think the whole concept of internal combustion is more romantic than functional in 2023. Regardless of where you fall on the innovational spectrum, it only takes one time in a Tesla, Rivian or even Ford Lightning to understand the future of daily transportation. E36, e39, e46.. shit, even the e90 (which I think is noisy and numb) will provide an experience you would not otherwise have, if driving does something more than transportation for you. Cammisa is still an influencer; a good one at that.
                        Oh wow I did not expect that.

Driven only the Tesla model S and 3, has them both for a few days. I don't call them cars but more "people movers". The experiences were both years apart. The only place they make sense is the city for me, downtown Toronto they're great cause I can care less about the shit roads and the suspension getting fucked. But man, it's a soul sucking experience even at that. I guess you focused heavily on the daily transportation there, even then I'd happily take a first gen X5 with maybe some hybridity. Yah, electric is definitely not for me, not even close.
                        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Electric cars are very convenient if you think about it. As long as you aren't planning to drive across country. Since energy storage for remote areas will be challenging, especially servicing them.

But for everyday use. You charge the car at home. You can turn the heat on remotely without gas fumes smoking up your garage. You can remote open the garage door and have the car back itself out of tight spaces. 250 miles per charge is enough for most metropolitan residents to reach an airport to travel further distances. I don't think unless it's a planned road trip have I ever desired to drive longer than 3-4 hours at once anymore, unless I'm going to buy some car parts.

The noises are also an upside. There are some days or after a long day at work where I just don't want to feel engine rumble or exhaust. Drive unit replacement is also a lot more simple than dropping an engine and making a giant mess.

There will be 'passion' electric cars for the new generation or ones who want to move on as well.

I have a neighbor with a model T who loves it. It's immaculate. But even he admits that it's more just because he thinks it's cool. Takes it out about once a year for a car show.

My next daily is definitely going to be plug in hybrid or electric, but more than likely electric. It won't be anytime soon...but, as time moves more quickly the older you get (or seems) it'll probably be sooner than I hope for. Im definitely no getting another gas powered daily.
                          ​​​​​

Comment

IMO, if it is not a small, sporty coupe or roadster with a cool engine in the front, 3 pedals with a manual gearbox in the middle and a limited slip diff out back, it might as well be electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                              IMO, if it is not a small, sporty coupe or roadster with a cool engine in the front, 3 pedals with a manual gearbox in the middle and a limited slip diff out back, it might as well be electric.
                              Really not a Porsche fan I guess

Comment

There's one issue with electric cars...economics.

No matter what, hydrocarbons (nat gas, crude oil) will be in our lives for a long time unless we go through a transformational change in our quality of life...meaning much worse. There are certain things that just can't be made without hydrocarbon molecules. Who wants to go back to natural fiber clothing?

Refining processes generally produce a 20g of gas, 12.5g of diesel, 3.5g jet fuel, and 6.3g of other stuff from a barrel of crude oil. Refining process can slightly modify the outputs. Over time, supply chains have been developed to produce a certain amount of stuff. Let's say air travel goes up which increases demand for jet. So if prices go up enough refineries will reconfigure processes to produce more jet which results in a reduction of something else (likely diesel). As jet production increases, the cost of production increases and the cost of other items decrease. BUT...if the increase in jet fuel produces more waste then that exponentially increases the cost of jet production.

Eliminating fossil fuels would cause things like...lululemon yoga pants to go from $100 to $100's. Anything stretchy has materials from cracked hydrocarbons (C and H).

Oil refining HATES emissions and waste...or they should. That's money being thrown away as wasted molecules AND paying to store and manage waste not to mention the compliance costs.

I think there will be a choice of fuel in the future. The choices will depend on factors specific to a certain region/location. And most modes of transportation will have more than 1 method of propulsion. I also think we've passed the peak of automotive enthusiasm.

But this is a little off-topic isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X