Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With Coolerworx Chassis Mounted Shifter Install

Hey all,

So I got the Coolerworx Short throw shifter (the regular one and not the one that returns to center) for my 2003 M3 and I am finding it pretty hard to shift into the gears.

I've had experience with chassis mounted shifters like CAE, as I had that on my F80, but it wasn't as hard to get into gear. It was notchy but in a good way.

The Coolerworx shifter is notchy, but hard to get into gear. I adjusted the grub screws so I could find gears 1/2 and 5/6 and I moved the whole unit back and forth, but its still the same. Is this normal?

Its to the point where if I want to heel toe into 2nd from 3rd, I misshift due to it not going into 2nd well.

Let me know your guys thoughts.

I've reached out to their customer service, but since they are in Lithuania, response has been a bit slow.

TIA!

Quick update for those who are still interested. I spoke with the manufacturer of the shifter and they said that my installer installed the rubber boot upside down. I’ve contacted my installer and hopefully we can get it sorted out and I’ll update the thread should that be the remedy.
    Attached Files

Comment

Welp, that didn't help. Still hard to shift. I tried a weighted shift knob and it helps a lot, but still hard. Not sure what to do and Coolerworx CS is a joke. Only reply with a 4 word sentence and not really helpful. UGH.

Comment

Sell and get an Autosolutions kit?
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Have you tried another car with the same shifter assembly in it? That throw looks super short and this usually leads to increased effort when engaging a gear. I have read a few posts that mention some issue with these chassis mounted shifters. The only one that doesn't seem to get negative reviews is CAE.

Comment

Thanks for the message guys!

i finally figured it out and fixed the issue. The top side of the shifter was out of alignment with the bottom shifter rod. After an hour of trying all different positions of the shifter, I finally found a position where it goes into gear smoothly and it clicks into place like my CAE shifter did in my old F80.

now I also think new engine and transmission mounts will help the shifting as well.

Comment

Working...
            X