Video: Help me guys with this clicking from steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video: Help me guys with this clicking from steering

Hey all - not a performance issue at all but one of things I just can’t figure out. It takes a little driving to come out but I’m getting this muffled clicking from about 11:55 to 12 on steering angle when driving or stationary. Seemed like a worn clock spring from what I researched - replaced it and still happens, even noticed it much worse (louder/looser clicking noise) a few days ago after driving somewhere totally silent, parking for lunch and then on the way home it appeared:

May not seem like much on the clip but it’s audible even with music on and as I mentioned got much louder the other day.

I was going to have my mechanic put a new turn signal stalk in on Tuesday but wanted to put it out to you guys for any ideas for items to check prior to the appt.

thanks in advance guys

Assuming you took care of the obvious, but did you check for loose trim or anything banging around inside underneath the airbag?

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post
      Assuming you took care of the obvious, but did you check for loose trim or anything banging around inside underneath the airbag?
      Yes - thanks, I can look again but nothing obvious seen there. I does sound like trim/plastic but when it got louder the other day, sounded like loose/broken piece of some sort. What I don’t understand is that it’s never immediate, it happens after driving for a bit/warming up

Comment

I should add it’s not on my coupe (with 47k), it’s on the Kaiv M3 wagon

Comment

I had this clicking noise as well, 11:55-12:00, regreasing the clock spring internal conductors with teflon grease and replacing the lower bushings in my steering column eliminated it for me. Drove me nuts and took absolutely forever to figure it out. Odd that Kaiv also did the original conversion on my wagon, definitely unrelated though.

Try the lower bushings first, I did them second. Mine were visibly loose. Both made improvements, and now it’s sweet silence.
          Last edited by Bry5on; 12-17-2023, 07:35 AM.
          ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
            I had this clicking noise as well, 11:55-12:00, regreasing the clock spring internal conductors with teflon grease and replacing the lower bushings in my steering column eliminated it for me. Drove me nuts and took absolutely forever to figure it out. Odd that Kaiv also did the original conversion on my wagon, definitely unrelated though.

Try the lower bushings first, I did them second. Mine were visibly loose. Both made improvements, and now it’s sweet silence.
            Awesome thanks so much Bryson - will check!

Comment

Following. There is an old thread about the e46 sounding like a creaky old pirate ship but I didn't get anywhere. I haven't listened to the clip but I have a similar noise which sounds like creaking right at the steering wheel. I've replaced the clock spring unit, had the whole wheel off several times, checked the trim, lined the main bearing in the column and replaced the lower unit joint at the rack. None of which have helped at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For the public record, this is what I did: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...593#post242593

Using PN: 32301095306

‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Bumping this thread because my steering wheel started making this same exact noise when slightly turning it left and right rapidly across the center line. OP LeeForst did you ever figure it out?

I found this video online and this seems to be the culprit (steering coupler): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9l...achEngineering

The noise it makes is very similar. I don't think it's the clock spring or turn signal stalk (those sound a bit different - a little more pronounced).The steering does also feel a bit sloppier than I remember.

Anybody have any input before I buy a $174 part? Crazy how much these have increased over the last few months... not looking good for parts cost as these cars get older.

Comment

Yeah I haven’t had chance to have it installed but Bry5on member suggested this for same clicking:

Comment

Just wanted to throw this thread out there as well: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...noise.1285895/

Same issue/sound in the video. When I research it seems a lot of E46s eventually get this click. A few users said it was being caused by a loose bolt?

Comment

Working...
                      X