Stock rear sway bar + adjustable endlinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock rear sway bar + adjustable endlinks

Was considering posting this in the Dumb Questions thread, so apologies if its a dumb one:
    My car came with the TMS sway bar kit, currently running them with the TMS adjustable end-links since my car is lowered on coilovers. I want to swap to a stock rear bar, but wanted to know how to run the adjustable endlinks with it? From pics online it doesn't look like a simple bolt through design like how the aftermarket bars and end-links utilize, I dont have a stock bar to look at in person to figure this out since my car didn't come with one. How are you guys running the stock rear sway bar on a lowered car with adjustable endlinks?
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

The stock bar just sticks through a rubber bushing

Are adjustable rear endlinks really necessary considering how inward on the control arm they are mounted?

Comment

And there is no change to the mounting point like there can be when people install different coilovers (since front endlink connects to strut body).
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I made my own.

Basically..
        Tube at the base, that I pressed a stock rear end link bushing into.
        rod welded normal to it, drilled and tapped for...
        rod end bearing screwed into that
        spacers on either side of the rod end to hold it left/right in the stock bracket.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

On my old M3 wagon I just used spacers for the stock end link mount, to get the preload out of it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Obioban Just the man I was waiting for their reply! Main reason for my asking is from your excellent Suspension Guide thread and the sway bar preload section. Since I first read that guide years ago, I bought adjustable endlinks and got the preload out of the bars and noticed a significant improvement in how the rear of the car behaved (less twichy/on edge in corners). Previous owner had the TMS bars installed with stock endlinks and the bars were binding since car was even lower then.

But dang, did not expect the solution to run a stock rear bar without preload to be that involved :/ Perhaps alternatively there is another aftermarket bar that is thinner/similar thickness to the stock rear? Or probably not worth the headache and hassle, and just keep running the TMS rear bar at the softest setting.
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
              Obioban Just the man I was waiting for their reply! Main reason for my asking is from your excellent Suspension Guide thread and the sway bar preload section. Since I first read that guide years ago, I bought adjustable endlinks and got the preload out of the bars and noticed a significant improvement in how the rear of the car behaved (less twichy/on edge in corners). Previous owner had the TMS bars installed with stock endlinks and the bars were binding since car was even lower then.

But dang, did not expect the solution to run a stock rear bar without preload to be that involved :/ Perhaps alternatively there is another aftermarket bar that is thinner/similar thickness to the stock rear? Or probably not worth the headache and hassle, and just keep running the TMS rear bar at the softest setting.
              I couldn't find anything as soft/softer than stock, which is why I went through the above.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Awesome, we have a snitch amongst us. 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                  Awesome, we have a snitch amongst us. 🙄

what?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I couldn't find anything as soft/softer than stock, which is why I went through the above.
                    I removed my stock sway bar for a period of time. With the rates I was running, the rear didn't have enough roll stiffness, but I bet with 600+ lb/in it could be an option depending on setup. Considering the small diameter and the mounting points, it wasn't as big of a difference as I expected. Rear grip was insane, but lifting the front inside tire was a new experience

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

I removed my stock sway bar for a period of time. With the rates I was running, the rear didn't have enough roll stiffness, but I bet with 600+ lb/in it could be an option depending on setup. Considering the small diameter and the mounting points, it wasn't as big of a difference as I expected. Rear grip was insane, but lifting the front inside tire was a new experience
                      I’m running 600+’s in the rear… but the car felt a bit wonky to me at the limit with no rear bar.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I have 700lb rear springs and no sway bar. It’s much better especially when you get the rear end sliding a bit. But my car is pretty light so you’d want higher rates for a heavier car.

Comment

Ive heard of the removing of the RSB especially for the track (which is now becoming the 80-90% use case for my streetable 'clubsport' car). But I think my rear springs are too soft, I'm running the basic Bilstein PSS10 B16 coilovers. The car already has alot of roll in braking zones and tighter corners, with just 200tw tires.
                          Instagram
                          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
                            Ive heard of the removing of the RSB especially for the track (which is now becoming the 80-90% use case for my streetable 'clubsport' car). But I think my rear springs are too soft, I'm running the basic Bilstein PSS10 B16 coilovers. The car already has alot of roll in braking zones and tighter corners, with just 200tw tires.
                            Could be your front ride height is too low. I’m running a very soft 450lb front spring with a stock sway bar and my car corners pretty flat at even at 1.5-1.6g’s as measured by an AiM solo DL.

Comment

Working...
                            X