Non-M Electric Fan Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-M Electric Fan Fitment

Does anyone know if the non-M electric fan from the manual transmission cars fit the M3 radiator and shroud?

I'm about done with my M3 touring swap and had originally planned on running a Spal with the N15 mounts but I heard I could just reuse the original fan from the touring...

I think there already was a pretty long thread about this, from the top of my head, it did not fit.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkWorks View Post
      Does anyone know if the non-M electric fan from the manual transmission cars fit the M3 radiator and shroud?...
      This means you will have 2 e-fan front and back of radiator? How do you connect them together?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This means you will have 2 e-fan front and back of radiator? How do you connect them together?
        Just planning on running the 1 puller fan. Was hoping to reuse the stock fan from the donor 325i but couldn't make it fit - touched the waterpump pulley and bottom shroud would've needed to be trimmed at least an inch.

Ended up installing the M3's aux pusher fan. Bolted right into the touring's rad support and plugged right in. Temps held steady idling in the garage so we'll see if I do have to end up with a proper puller fan in the future.

Comment

The clutch fan works really well and last 10 years. It's also very cheap and there is not extra engineering. The clutch fan should still fit and then you use the lower temp clutch. The Aux fan is absolutely enough but the clutch fan also can drop the engine bay another 10 to 15 degrees.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Bumping this as I'm researching the whole electric fan thing. My fan clutch and blade assembly is original, 85k, miles. I"m going to do the belts again and this time hit the tensioners, and "while I'm in there" has flared up and I'm wondering if I should replace the fan clutch/blade while I'm getting into this. I've read the newspaper test and I'm not having any cooling issues, just wondering if these things detonate, or what happens when they fail. Mahle OE for the clutch? Which fan brand?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
              Bumping this as I'm researching the whole electric fan thing. My fan clutch and blade assembly is original, 85k, miles. I"m going to do the belts again and this time hit the tensioners, and "while I'm in there" has flared up and I'm wondering if I should replace the fan clutch/blade while I'm getting into this. I've read the newspaper test and I'm not having any cooling issues, just wondering if these things detonate, or what happens when they fail. Mahle OE for the clutch? Which fan brand?
              go to FCP and get the OE fan brand and fan clutch and dont give yourself a headache if this system is working perfectly for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

go to FCP and get the OE fan brand and fan clutch and dont give yourself a headache if this system is working perfectly for you.
                Yep it works fine for me, no cooling issues. I'll take that advice!

I did notice today what appears to be an oil residue around the fan circumference suggesting some sort of "leaking" from the fan clutch as shown below. Is this indicative of a failure? With engine off, the fan spins by hand, but it's by no means "loose" in that it REALLY spins with minimal input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9388.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	247185

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Yep it works fine for me, no cooling issues. I'll take that advice!

I did notice today what appears to be an oil residue around the fan circumference suggesting some sort of "leaking" from the fan clutch as shown below. Is this indicative of a failure? With engine off, the fan spins by hand, but it's by no means "loose" in that it REALLY spins with minimal input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9388.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	247185
                  End of life approaching for the fan clutch, not expensive to replace so I recommend you go ahead and do that.

Comment

Does anyone know if the non-M electric fan from the manual transmission cars fit the M3 radiator and shroud?

I'm about done with my M3 touring swap and had originally planned on running a Spal with the N15 mounts but I heard I could just reuse the original fan from the touring...
                    I bought the efan from a non m, 330i manual, car and it fits fine. I just plugged it in, and it works well.

Comment

A bit more context from me. Originally, I bought a fan that fit a manual 330i from eBay, but it did not fit because of the motor size. However, I then went and bought an original/oem efan from another manual 330i that was being parted out. I didn't have to do much trimming if I recall correctly, but this bottom did need to be trimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post

A bit more context from me. Originally, I bought a fan that fit a manual 330i from eBay, but it did not fit because of the motor size. However, I then went and bought an original/oem efan from another manual 330i that was being parted out. I didn't have to do much trimming if I recall correctly, but this bottom did need to be trimmed.
                        Do you have any pictures by any chance? How did you mount it?

Only the passenger side mounts lined up when I tried. Didn't have the appetite to trim the bottom section when I mocked it up so not sure how driver's side would mount as the non-Ms have the large bracket there that also holds the coolant reservoir.

Comment

I can send pictures in the morning but it's not the prettiest thing, I was pretty lazy when I installed it and used zip ties. Some people use the oem shroud, that pairs with the clutch fan, and then use brackets to retro fit the efan but I was too lazy for that.

If you want something with a nice fit and finish I suggest using the N15 designs efan paired with the Mishimoto fan. Although the fit and finish is pretty jank I couldn't resist the ease of just plugging in the fan rather than wiring it up with a controller .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As requested, here are some photos, don't mind the eyesore that my engine bay is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

'09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                              X