Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to accept that my car won't ever be "perfect"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, it became a lot easier to enjoy driving the car vs keeping it perfect when it started to become apparent that at some point it probably wont' be viable. BMW's part support in general is getting much worse (hasn't really hit the e46 yet in force) and governments are doing everything in their power to end gas cars. If it's not going to be useful in the future, I want to get all the enjoyment I can out of it now.

That said, to your OP, I have no clunks, leaks, or rattles on the M3. Those things I find reasonably easy to stay on top of, on the M3. e60 and e82 both have oil leaks I need to track down...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      For me, it became a lot easier to enjoy driving the car vs keeping it perfect when it started to become apparent that at some point it probably wont' be viable. BMW's part support in general is getting much worse (hasn't really hit the e46 yet in force) and governments are doing everything in their power to end gas cars. If it's not going to be useful in the future, I want to get all the enjoyment I can out of it now.

That said, to your OP, I have no clunks, leaks, or rattles on the M3. Those things I find reasonably easy to stay on top of, on the M3. e60 and e82 both have oil leaks I need to track down...
      My front end started clunking again after I fixed it last year (i'm suspecting sway bar links yet again but we will see), my interior has a rattle from...somewhere, but yes the leaks I definitely need to get on top of. My oil pan gasket leaking 3 years after doing rod bearings is highly frustrating, but the other small leaks I know where they are and how to fix them, but just haven't gotten around to them yet.

My E60 is surprisingly bone-dry.
      2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Overall, I loved mine when I had it (8-years) and I've taken the attitude my wife used when she met me. She loved most things about me and learned to look pass my shortcomings. That union lasted almost 45-years. Lost my M March 2020. Perfect? Naaah! far from it but I enjoyed every single minute of ownership. I would do it again if I run into one I like. At 70 years old...I ain't got much time...my joints need new bushings!

Comment

I've owned my current m3 for almost 8 years now - a lot has changed in my life since ownership. Priorities have changed, focuses have changed. I think chasing a perfect condition e46 m3 is going to be hard, especially if driven daily with no other vehicle in the stable. I have maintenance that needs to be done with mine, but I've put it on the back-burner as it sits for the winter... and probably most of the year in the garage looking pretty (only 8k miles in 8 years).

I'm in my mid-30s and don't suppose I have true wisdom, yet, but I think you'll find greater pleasure/satisfaction in life focusing on building a family legacy and being charitable to others. With that, the rest of life's happiness and fulfillment seems to somehow fall into place.
          2005 - BMW M3 - Individual Estoril Blue
          2017 - BMW M3 Competition - Sapphire Black
          2023 - Tesla Model Y Long Range - Midnight Silver

Comment

I actually think a perfect car is less enjoyable anyway— then you stress about keeping it that way, instead of actually enjoying the car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

It's old.

/thread.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I actually think a perfect car is less enjoyable anyway— then you stress about keeping it that way, instead of actually enjoying the car.
                That’s why you need more than one E46 M3; a perfect low mileage car and another one to beat the crap
                out of it without feeling guilty!!
                2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I'm in the camp of "skip perfect, just keep it as close to stock as possible and enjoy it." Stay out in front of the maintenance curve to stop things from breaking, and when things break or need fixing, fix them. Wash, rinse, repeat and enjoy the car. For reasons we all know (EV, parts support, etc.), the car will always be special just the way it rolled out of the factory. "Fully cooked from the factory" is what's special here, not anything else.

If you maintain and don't destroy that specialty, then the specialty will be maintained and not destroyed. The miles you put on it won't matter one way or another from a specialty perspective, when everyone else is auto-driving some computer box that they can't even control. These are driver focused cars -- a dying breed. Enjoy having one. Keep it up to snuff and enjoy what is demonstrably one of the best cars BMW ever built. And if you actually believe BMWs are "the ultimate driving machine" well... you shouldn't... but there's no harm in that either.

Now, if you're daily driving the car, stop it. Buy a beater. The wear and tear you save on this one will pay for several beaters.

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 01-05-2024, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Many good points here. I've owned mine since 2007, garaged, fussed over, never daily driven...and it still breaks. So, maw1124 hit it perfectly above and that's exactly what I do: stay ahead of the maintenance and really enjoy what I've only recently come to recognize as a truly great automobile.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                      I'm in the camp of "skip perfect, just keep it as close to stock as possible and enjoy it." Stay out in front of the maintenance curve to stop things from breaking, and when things break or need fixing, fix them. Wash, rinse, repeat and enjoy the car. For reasons we all know (EV, parts support, etc.), the car will always be special just the way it rolled out of the factory. "Fully cooked from the factory" is what's special here, not anything else.

If you maintain and don't destroy that specialty, then the specialty will be maintained and not destroyed. The miles you put on it won't matter one way or another from a specialty perspective, when everyone else is auto-driving some computer box that they can't even control. These are driver focused cars -- a dying breed. Enjoy having one. Keep it up to snuff and enjoy what is demonstrably one of the best cars BMW ever built. And if you actually believe BMWs are "the ultimate driving machine" well... you shouldn't... but there's no harm in that either.

Now, if you're daily driving the car, stop it. Buy a beater. The wear and tear you save on this one will pay for several beaters.

maw
                      On board with the maintenance. Beyond that, hard disagree. I love DDing M cars (have been for 20 years now), and the car can be vastly improved over stock with some choice mods. Just because stock is good doesn’t mean there isn’t room for significant improvement.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Most people

Comment

On board with the maintenance. Beyond that, hard disagree. I love DDing M cars (have been for 20 years now), and the car can be vastly improved over stock with some choice mods. Just because stock is good doesn’t mean there isn’t room for significant improvement.
                          Always room for hard disagreement. Mods that move the car closer to the limit doesn't mean vast improvement to me. Those improvements usually come with unseen costs.

But I daily drive Benzes and AMG's, which is a completely different experience. I take this car when I want to drive the pants off something. Other than that I drive something else.

And even though all of them are focused drivers cars that are appreciating in value, I'm not expecting any of them to be anything like perfect. I treat them all the same, as I've described above.

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 01-05-2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Certainly some mods have undesirable side effects. But, equally, some are only better. E.g Euro headers/cats, projector upgrade, chassis stiffness upgrades, oe monoball rtabs are all only better (sometimes significantly so) than stock.

​​​​​​…. I always want to drive the pants of my cars, so always want to take an M car. That may depend where you live. Where I live is all twisty roads and we have no local police department

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Agreed. All the factory euro stuff on these cars makes sense. Following the homologation formula any further risks execution for me. I trust BMW ///M not the rest of these jokers.

Most times I want the car do go like I'm driving the pants off it without my stress level raising. That's why ///AMG -- a quiet hurry. For those times when I actually want to be exhilarated, then I have choices. For top down mania, this is my choice for that (again bringing it back on topic) rock chips and all. It's one of the reasons I bought it, the other being that it's one of the best (and arguably the last) great car to roll off a BMW factory floor.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people who have told me -- dead faced -- that this is the last BMW worth buying (and the E39M just slightly before it). I've been shocked by their dead faces. They are serious.

maw
                              Last edited by maw1124; 01-05-2024, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm daily driving my M3 and have all the clunks leaks (ok, just one, that will be fixed soon) and rattles. I put 11k miles on my car within 7 months and don't plan on stopping.

I used to want to make this car perfect, but the closer it gets to 200k on the clock, the more I switch from striving for perfection to just fixing the rattles and clunks, lol.

Also, for me, it doesn't financially make sense to chase perfection as I'm still in high school.

I believe initially, many of us aim for perfection, driven by idealistic goals, and as [mention]Nate047 [/mention] said, some of that is fueled by social media.

But as we encounter the complexities of real life, our objectives often undergo a transformation.

This shift isn't about lowering our standards but rather about aligning our aspirations more realistically with what's achievable, blending our dreams with the practical aspects of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X