Tune a stock car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune a stock car?

Any point to getting a tune to a completely stock e46 m3? If so, what are the advantages.

I know it’s probably been covered hundreds of times on m3forums but it’s something I didn’t really look into until now.

The cost to benefit ratio is probably a bit high. Most tunes on a stock car wouldn't make a noticeable difference to the butt dyno. In my opinion, I would wait and do the normal bolt ons first if you're looking for more power.
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

You get something like 10-20hp extra on the dyno. Most noticeable difference from the driving perspective is probably a better throttle curve. If you equalize those, I doubt you can tell the difference between tuned and stock back to back.

Comment

If you tune a completely stock US car, it will probably be in the 300~ whp range up from 275, whether that's worth it on not is up to you many seem to enjoy it . Most of us get jaded having driven tuned/modified cars for a long time, but if I were to do it again, I'd do it in a heart beat. Driving stock cars feel like a 330 less so an M3 to me hehe
        385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
        -CSL airbox ( custom)
        -280 272 Cat cams
        -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
        -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
        -TMS pullies
        -Electric Fan
        -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

would the power delivery be smoother?

Comment

If the car is tuned right I would say so
            385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
            -CSL airbox ( custom)
            -280 272 Cat cams
            -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
            -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
            -TMS pullies
            -Electric Fan
            -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

For the price, I think a tune is always worth it no matter the mods. While this is an already high strung engine, understanding of this engine and its tuning has come a long way so there can be significant power extracted.
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                Most of us get jaded having driven tuned/modified cars for a long time, but if I were to do it again, I'd do it in a heart beat. Driving stock cars feel like a 330 less so an M3 to me hehe
                I put mine completely back to stock last weekend and it was so boring lol. Not too much better than my 128i

Looking forward to driving again soon with everything back on.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I put mine completely back to stock last weekend and it was so boring lol. Not too much better than my 128i

Looking forward to driving again soon with everything back on.
                  You going through state inspection/smog?
                  Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Passed within 15 min of getting up and running! Forgot to check emissions readiness before starting the car. I have a feeling they might be set green from the off except for the ones that are n/a.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post
                        Any point to getting a tune to a completely stock e46 m3? If so, what are the advantages.

I know it’s probably been covered hundreds of times on m3forums but it’s something I didn’t really look into until now.
                        I so hardily suggest headers and exhaust before a full dyno tune. You will recoup that investment many, many times over. Read on.

I did headers (Ebay), cat delete and a full midpipe and exhaust (Agency Power)> Full dyno tune at Active Auto in 2011 by Barry. The car only has 310 RWHP but it really rips.

8100 redline and ultra smooth power delivery. Stock diff gears. I can loose traction just from the Torque in first with my PS4s 265mm rears. The car pulls like a Banshee from 100MPH to 160MPH.
                        No stinky exhaust at idle even with the top down. Barry leaned it out nice at idle after the cat delete.

A good tune is not so much about the peak figures but rather what your curves look like on the dyno.

Even back then, the dyno tune was not cheap. $1000 I think. I have recouped that money back in terms of driving joy, many times over!!!

TIP: BEFORE your tune, put in fresh coils and plugs. Eldor and NGK for the win. I LOVE this combo!! So smooth and powerful. Set of 6 For BMW E36 E46 M3 Z3 Z4 Spark Plugs NGK Laser Platinum DCPR8EKP $61.95 sold by partscontainer on eBay.

Eldor Set of 6 Ignition Coil with Spark Plug Connector For BMW Mini Cooper Manufacturer Part Number: R3516S00100 $144.96 also on partscontainer contact them and ask for JASON. He might give you an even DEEPER discount if you by plugs and coils at the same time. My stuff came Fedex in three days.

That way, your tune will be perfected for brand new ignition components.
                        Last edited by BigDave; 05-17-2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

What is considered the "go to" tune for a stock M3? I will probably get a carbon box in the next year or so, what company also offers upgrades for people that need a re-tune due to other parts being added?

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                            What is considered the "go to" tune for a stock M3? I will probably get a carbon box in the next year or so, what company also offers upgrades for people that need a re-tune due to other parts being added?
                            There are several options - Hassan and Paul Claude from the forum, a lot of folks also do Buildjournal, a lot of track guys used to go with Epic tunes.
                            Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Working...
                            X