Manual headlight level adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual headlight level adjustment question

On my wagon project it was a halogen car originally and since I'm using the M3 bixenon headlights I had to wire in the high beam shutters. Then I forgot about the level adjustment motors so I wired those in and then I thought to myself I really don't want to wire in the front and rear level sensors.

I happen to have a European faceplate that has the manual level adjustment dial so I followed the rather old but great DIY article from terraphantm on e46 fanatics

I got everything working properly. Headlights adjust no problem with the dial

There are three settings 0, 1 and 2

Zero is high, one is middle and two is low

My question is and I can't find any information on this. Is how are you supposed to use this manual level adjustment.

For example, let's say I want to go out and adjust my headlights using the adjustment knobs to get proper low beam level which setting on the dial adjustment. Should I leave it at to perform that initial height adjustment. 0 1 or 2?

I haven't tried searching European forms but I can't believe nobody's asked a question on how to use the manual level adjustment knob

If I could just find a copy of an owner's manual from Europe lol maybe it would have the instructions in there.

here's a quick video showing it in action

I've actually owned a few halogen cars, and I kept mine the furthest down as possible, because I am sure otherwise it blinds the shit out of other people.

But your post made me realize I never knew the intented use either, so I looked it up.

From the German owners manual:
    Um den Gegenverkehr nicht zu blenden, muss die Leuchtweite des Abblendlichts der Fahrzeugbeladung angepasst werden:
    Werte in ( ) gelten für Anhängerbetrieb.
    0 (1) = 1 bis 2 Personen ohne Gepäck
    1 (1) = 5 Personen ohne Gepäck
    1 (2) = 5 Personen mit Gepäck
    2 (2) = 1 Person, Laderaum voll​
    Translated to English:
    To avoid blinding oncoming traffic, the headlight level should be adapted to the vehicle's load:
    Values in ( ) apply to trailer operation.
    0 (1) = 1 to 2 persons without luggage
    1 (1) = 5 persons without luggage
    1 (2) = 5 persons with luggage
    2 (2) = 1 person, load compartment full​
    Source: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=746762 (Page 92)
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

At 25 feet, your low beams should be 2.5 inches lower (DOT standard). Our cars sit low so if you want to do what is "factory", I would go with this. Vehicles that sit higher (like lifted trucks) would want their headlight beams to be lower at 25 feet to not blind oncoming traffic. I'd set it up so I could manually lower the beams from the cabin. That would let you put the most light farther in front of you. This is what I do in my Tundra with Towing package - I can lower the beams as needed. I drive a lot of backcountry roads in nowhere VA so it does come in handy.
      But I really do not like blinding people so most of the time they just stay at the lower setting. Don't get me started on Amazon LEDs in halogen reflector housings.....

Mike
      02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
      11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
      16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
        I've actually owned a few halogen cars, and I kept mine the furthest down as possible, because I am sure otherwise it blinds the shit out of other people.

But your post made me realize I never knew the intented use either, so I looked it up.

From the German owners manual:

Translated to English:

Source: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=746762 (Page 92)
        That's exactly what I need it. Thank you very much

Sounds like you should keep it at zero and as you get more loaded or fully loaded, you change it to two because the rear end squats causing the headlights to be pointed up blinding people and as you dial it from zero to one to two, it lowers the headlights to be more level.

Comment

I just watched the video, that a really cool feature

Comment

Working...
          X