Options for Refreshing the Stock 6-Speed Manual Shift Knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for Refreshing the Stock 6-Speed Manual Shift Knob

As the title states, what options exist for refreshing the stock E46 M3 6-speed manual shift knob? Mine needs replacement or reconditioning given its age and wear. I'd like to retain the illumination feature and feel/length of the stock shift knob.

I checked the price for a new E46 M3 knob and they are $556 new. Tax not included.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...wE#description
    Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-15-2024, 06:04 PM.

Bimmeworld had these a few months ago for $3XX. I almost bought, but---now I'm kicking myself even thought at the time thought that pricing was crazy. Insane how much these are.

Comment

F10 M5 shift knob is illuminated and I you can retrofit the boot to your trim piece from what I remember. They run for way less.
      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
        Bimmeworld had these a few months ago for $3XX. I almost bought, but---now I'm kicking myself even thought at the time thought that pricing was crazy. Insane how much these are.
        I recall pre-pandemic, new knobs were ~$200. The exponential price increase over the past few years is wild.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

I recall pre-pandemic, new knobs were ~$200. The exponential price increase over the past few years is wild.
          Reuse the boot and install the weighted version - 25117896884 - $90-110 new

Comment

Mperformance weighted, tall knob (xxx884) ftw

Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverginterior (14).jpg
Views:	486
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	249351

​​​​​​​
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              Mperformance weighted, tall knob (xxx884) ftw

Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverginterior (14).jpg
Views:	486
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	249351
              How's the length compared to stock? I installed a ZHP weighted knob years ago but pulled it as it felt uncomfortable (too short) for track driving.

Does this knob illuminate?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                Schmiedmann still has them for low $300s. We get ripped off on pricing lately in the US vs Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

How's the length compared to stock? I installed a ZHP weighted knob years ago but pulled it as it felt uncomfortable (too short) for track driving.

Does this knob illuminate?
                  same height as the broomstick, no illumination though
                  2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                    F10 M5 shift knob is illuminated and I you can retrofit the boot to your trim piece from what I remember. They run for way less.
                    Is it the F10 the same height as the broomstick or closer to zhp?

Comment

Originally posted by nachizl8 View Post

Is it the F10 the same height as the broomstick or closer to zhp?
                      ZHP and one piece with the boot

Comment

Sure wish I could find the thread from that guy Jared that refreshed his shift knob lol I think it was on the old m3forum

Comment

The knob (head) whittler who destroys e46s and 997s.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I've got a brand new genuine e46 m3 shiftknob in it's original box at home. PM if you're interested

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
                              Sure wish I could find the thread from that guy Jared that refreshed his shift knob lol I think it was on the old m3forum
                              Happened to see this work of shart in another thread

something, something... tiny hands

Click image for larger version  Name:	ad40e859df2561a2cb66e72cdf2e0dcf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	249644

Comment

Working...
                              X