Subframe thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe thickness

I’m in the process of subframe reinforcment. I’m trying to setup my welder I figured out the hard way that the sheet metal isn’t the same thickness as the reinforcement plates. Can anyone tell me the thickness or gauge of the racp metal. Thanks

I set my Miller Multimatic for 18 gauge when doing RACP reinforcement and move my hand accordingly
    2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Thickness varies, not the same across the entire car.
      The front mounts are thicker in my experience compared to the rears, which in some places are only 0.8mm thick.

While settings probably differ per welding machine, what Gt4 suggested is pretty much what I use too.
      Another way to set it up is to create around 10mm of heat/discoloration around the weld area, if you have much more than that you are running way too hot.
      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

You can also weld with machine adjust for 16 gauge, spend more time on the reinforcement plates than chassis and spot weld bead by bead and change in different spots of the plates after 1-2’’ sections. This will put less heat to the chassis so less stress. Just need to move hand a bit faster.

2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Appreciate the replies. Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
            You can also weld with machine adjust for 16 gauge, spend more time on the reinforcement plates than chassis and spot weld bead by bead and change in different spots of the plates after 1-2’’ sections. This will put less heat to the chassis so less stress. Just need to move hand a bit faster.
            Ahhh...the joys of overhead welding! I vote for more amperage to get it over and done with faster!

Comment

Working...
            X