Bumper question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper question.

Is it possible to hit lower front bumper on a curb, hard enough to pull bumper connector and clip out of fiberglass bumper bar?

or rather, the prestol cage nut

Comment

Separate the kevlar bar from the mounts? The kevlar bar is bonded to an aluminum plate which is bolted to the frame rail. So an impact that pushes against the bumper wouldn't necessarily cause a lot of damage to the mounting. Now if you parked like a woman and ran the bumper over a curb, when you back the car off the curb you'd easily damage the aluminum-kevlar bond because the kevlar is pulled away. Then it will be tough to re-bond the kevlar. That bond is not very strong at all, doesn't really have to be.

I've learned the hard way - you get one tow on a kevlar bar. After that it gets questionable.

Comment

I knocked my bumper entirely off once after hitting a curb at a very slow speed and a very oblique angle when skidding to a stop. I was being bad that day playing drifter boy in an abandoned parking lot on a Sunday long long ago. Now I get my kicks at VIR and Summit Instructing how not to do that.

Comment

let me clarify, the 4 connectors screwed into the kevlar bumper bar

Comment

That’s odd because the foam usually rips off the bumper.

Comment

if that was the problem, what's the best epoxy to restore it?

Comment

Working...
              X