2024 Best VANOS refresh options available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 Best VANOS refresh options available

It's been ~ 10 years (30k) since I've had my Vanos unit rebuilt, new exhaust hub (had broken tab), and chain guide arm changed. Is it time for a refresh? I have rattle. If yes, what are the best options now? Are folks replacing the chain as well?

Has the chain guide arm been updated by BMW or is the Besian option proven to be better? It looks gray vs black for the OE piece but not much is said in the description. Was there a company that had upgraded exhaust hubs made to a different spec?

Do a VANOS test, if all ok, look elsewhere. You said you have a rattle, what’s the mileage? You can remove the VANOS and inspect the splines for play.

Comment

About the rattling, remove the vanos off the head, then rocking the spline shaft fore/aft to detect any plays in the roller bearing and the spring washer in the hub. If no then look elsewhere.

Comment

Do you have a video clip of the rattle noise?

Comment

What'd you use when you rebuilt the vanos 10 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post
            What'd you use when you rebuilt the vanos 10 years ago?
            Besian rebuild kit, OE chain guide, and Turboboy exhaust hub (I think that's what it's called, the one with larger tabs welded on a factory hub), OE cam bolts

Comment

FYI, I'm detailing my Vanos replacement on this thread. Beisan is offering brand new OEM Vanos from BMW that Besian has already rebuilt. All brand new metal. I believe this is currently the best option out there.
              Last edited by YoungDinosaur; 01-23-2024, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X