Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot Bearings - They're not all the same...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Bearings - They're not all the same...

I'm putting in a new clutch, and among many other parts, I ordered the Febi pilot bearing. When I was ready to tap it in, I noticed it was sliding in quite easily, I was a bit suspicious and should have checked it closed at this point, but I didn't (I know...). So, I proceeded and put on the clutch disc with the alignment tool, followed by the pressure plate. when everything is torqued down, I pulled the alignment tool, and guess what...the bearing that was not pressed in tight enough, stuck to the tool and fell behind the pressure plate 馃が. At this point I had to call it quits.

The next day I pulled the pressure plate and found the pilot bearing behind the clutch disk. I assumed diameter was perhaps on the lower spec (15x32x10), so I pulled my digital caliper and was surprised to see it was exactly at 32mm, however, when I checked thickness, it was 9.08mm vs the stock/spec of 10mm.

I ordered the parts from Pelican, and by no means I think they are at fault, Febi is a reputable brand, and shit happens. If anything, I'd like to thank Pelican for their exceptional customer service, they credited me for the Febi bearing and sent a BMW OEM replacement overnight via air.

Attached Files

This is known, oe only for pilot bearing. Sachs oem tob is ok. The info is on the forums. Sorry you found out the hard way.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 DCT Slicktop Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Coupe 6spd Slicktop zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
    X