No announcement yet.

BBS RC/ APEX ARC8 style CF wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love CF wheels, but maybe I'm not casual. I like to chase weight reduction and apart of the reason I haven't gotten is I haven't found any that aesthetically pleasing or at a decent price. I will echo whatever offset allows for clearance for all BBK would be best.

Comment

That would be very interesting. Carbon can have a much higher tensile strength depending on how its laid up. If someone is smart enough to understand how the wheel is loaded I could definitely see carbon being superior in every way to aluminum except if the carbon/epoxy fails.

Just thinking through this...aluminum will bend then crack and then come apart. If the carbon/epoxy structure fails it will quickly just shatter into pieces and probably cause a lot of damage - rip up the wheel wheel liner, anything in the wheel well (wires, brake lines, trim) and could also damage the side and undercarriage as the shards are scattered. Could also puncture other tires. Carbon/epoxy is sharper than a razor blade...ask my fingers.

That failure point could be up to 8x higher...depending on how the carbon is oriented in the layup. Could be possible that you'd destroy the tire and suspension before the wheel is damaged.

Not sure if a visual inspection could detect damage or a defect? Also carbon doesn't fatigue like aluminum.

Just some things to consider. Interested in keeping tabs on progress.

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
      Meet in the middle et28
      This might be almost as bad as an oil thread! ROFLMAO!!!

Comment

Only thing I have to contribute is, maybe make your own design, optimized for the construction. I would not trust a carbon fiber wheel from a brand I don’t know, who chose a design just because they think it’s palatable because a bazillion reps of that design already exist.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I am more interested if there would be some sort of warranty if the wheels fail during its first year or two. It turned out to be a nightmare for all of the Ford GT350R and GT500 owners with their carbon wheels. Looking at the Corvette forums, it looks like the new Z06 carbon wheels do not have any sort of warranty as well.
          2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

​Honestly this is the sort of thing that would tempt me to go over the edge.
            need to make this with some good solution finally - touring CF side panel with rear M3 arch. same about front - CF m3 fender for touring/sedan. + rear CF bumper for touring​

Comment

i'm for 18x9.5 (10 in ideal), et28.
              but i'm not in, cause i doubt that its possible to make arc8 or ec7 (my love ) design with carbon fiber. and with some simple design, like te37, i would prefer my ec7rs.

cause for me in this case, cf wheel with some simple design would be like:
              pros:
              1) weight
              cons:
              1) design
              2) chance of wheel lost (damage)
              3) no choice of parameters.​

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

need to make this with some good solution finally - touring CF side panel with rear M3 arch. same about front - CF m3 fender for touring/sedan. + rear CF bumper for touring​
                Yes please
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

I agree that simple spoke design would be more suitable and efficient for that purpose.
                  But at the same time as Slonik mentioned, I would rather have my current alloy setup that I like than to have have carbon wheels I don’t like.

From the beginning and simplicity standpoint , Our carbon wizzard insisted simple 5 spoke design like koeniggseg did, or something similar.

Therefore me personally I would sacrifice some efficiency and little bit of weight in favor of classic design which is proven to fit these cars.
                  Not sayin it needs to be necessarily ARC8. Technically, design like this is not a limiting factor. They already have retro woven style full CF wheels and they way exceed the alloy standards and excelled on crash tests.

Certification is clearly a part of this process with all the safety testing, official crash tests etc. it won’t be such a pain since they will be doing the same process at the same time with their wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by RazorM View Post
                    I agree that simple spoke design would be more suitable and efficient for that purpose.
                    But at the same time as Slonik mentioned, I would rather have my current alloy setup that I like than to have have carbon wheels I don't like.

From the beginning and simplicity standpoint , Our carbon wizzard insisted simple 5 spoke design like koeniggseg did, or something similar.

Therefore me personally I would sacrifice some efficiency and little bit of weight in favor of classic design which is proven to fit these cars.
                    Not sayin it needs to be necessarily ARC8. Technically, design like this is not a limiting factor. They already have retro woven style full CF wheels and they way exceed the alloy standards and excelled on crash tests.

Certification is clearly a part of this process with all the safety testing, official crash tests etc. it won't be such a pain since they will be doing the same process at the same time with their wheel.
                    Same and I don't like 18s on the E46 M3 any way. I've always been a big BBS fans and I own both the CHs and LMs which are my two favorite BBS wheels for the M3.

Comment

Working...
                    X