Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Bushing refresh

hello all,

finally getting around to working on the M so that it'll be ready for mvading the dragon this year, and looking to install a 545i lever and some new shift bushings.

looking for advice on what bushings people recommend. my current intention is to get the FCPEuro bushing kit, and then replace the chassis shifter bushing and the transmission side carrier bushing with poly units, and use the remainder of the OEM items.

ideally from what i am seeing, the poly carrier bushings should also be easier to install than the OEM one, which is also a plus. going to also do the giubo while i'm in there.

thanks in advance.

Poly is fine for the transmission side, but you might want to keep the stock rubber bushing in the rear. I believe two people reported that the rear bracket on the chassis broke off due to the poly rear bushing.

Other than the front poly bushings, everything else can be refreshed with stock - foam piece in the coupler or new style coupler if you have the older version, plastic pivot cup and the rear carrier bushing.

Comment

Agreed. Unless you have solid engine and tranny mounts keep the OEM rubber bushing for the rear end of the carrier.

Comment

I wouldn't do poly on both the transmission side and the chassis side, will make it hard to get in and out of gear.

Also, that turner poly carrier bushing is a c*nt to remove from the trans tunnel bracket, it's still in there for now but I might legit have to cut it out it won't budge the poly is too stiff to compress out of the bracket.

Another thing, you can change every single shifter bushing but a sloppy 420G is still a sloppy 420G. I realized this after doing that, and I'm opting to change the transmission this go-around.

Comment

I will also let you know that installing the poly carrier bushing to the tranny isn't a walk in the park. If you have the tranny out it will be exponentially easier. With the tranny in plan on frustration, profanity, and sore hands. I've done the exact thing you're planning to do. I ended up swapping the poly for delrin and would recommend it - but not from Rogue Engineering. The side to side play was unconscionable. I contacted them about it but they claim it's a perfect fit. I ended up having to add washers to make up the gaps. I'll also inform you that all of these changes helped dramatically, after doing much research and talking with Ronald from Autosolutions I eventually will replace all of it with his Autocross.

Comment

thanks for the advice. looks like ill go for the stock chassis side bushing and some sort of upgraded transmission side bushing.

slight off topic, but does anyone have any experience with a DSSR on the stock and/or 545i shift lever? or if i'm going that far, would it just be better to get a whole SSK?

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
            I will also let you know that installing the poly carrier bushing to the tranny isn't a walk in the park. If you have the tranny out it will be exponentially easier. With the tranny in plan on frustration, profanity, and sore hands. I've done the exact thing you're planning to do. I ended up swapping the poly for delrin and would recommend it - but not from Rogue Engineering. The side to side play was unconscionable. I contacted them about it but they claim it's a perfect fit. I ended up having to add washers to make up the gaps. I'll also inform you that all of these changes helped dramatically, after doing much research and talking with Ronald from Autosolutions I eventually will replace all of it with his Autocross.
            interesting. i expected the poly bushing to be a bit of a pain to insert into the carrier, based on the FCPEuro video, and i have heard that putting the retaining pin back in is a chore. which delrin bushing did you end up going with? i assume it is easier to install since the delrin is a 2 piece design? i did read that the 2 piece design might also be a bit annoying since the point at which the 2 pieces meet up will be a bit narrower (hole size wise) so again inserting the retaining pin will be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by e46IX View Post

Also, that turner poly carrier bushing is a c*nt to remove from the trans tunnel bracket, it's still in there for now but I might legit have to cut it out it won't budge the poly is too stiff to compress out of the bracket.
              I had success using a huge pair of channel lock pliers to compress/deform the outer casing around the slots. It took all the grip strength I had, but that extra mm or so was enough to pry it out without a ton of force.
              '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
              All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Working...
              X