Here’s a solution to mount any strut brace on 2001 front strut towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s a solution to mount any strut brace on 2001 front strut towers

So I was looking to install my Rogue Engineering strut tower brace on my 2001 E46 M3 LSB. As you know strut towers have those bumps in them on 2001 model which limit the available strut brace to model like AC Schnitzer or similar 3 or 5 pieces design braces that also hide access to coilover dampening adjustment knob.

I was ready to make some shims/riser plates (did some on my E30) when I came across the Rise Fab weld-in front strut tower reinforcement plates:

NOW, FORMULA DRIFT LEGAL! Keep Mushrooming of your e46 strut tower tops from occuring with these weld in reinforcement plates. 1/8” thick mild steel raw finish ready to be welded on for the ultimate in strength for your e46 chassis. NOTE: these are designed around the secondary firewall being rem

So bought those, trimmed them a bit and here is the result:

2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

i emailed mason engineering when i ran into this problem with my last E46 M3, they said if the end plates of their strut tower bars hadn't already been bent themselves from mounting, take a hammer to em to make em fit =/

this is a much better solution

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
      i emailed mason engineering when i ran into this problem with my last E46 M3, they said if the end plates of their strut tower bars hadn't already been bent themselves from mounting, take a hammer to em to make em fit =/

this is a much better solution
      I bought a Mason Engineering strut brace for my E30 directly from John and it doesn’t even fit my 318is. Bolt pattern doesn’t align so I had to slot 2/6 holes, I had to massage with a hammer the bumps he made in the plates and now it get in contact with the M42 stock intake… So had to do riser plates… I will eventually cut the plates and weld my riser plates to the Mason bar… Wasn’t cheap strut brace and doesn’t fit at all…but looks good on pics
      Attached Files

Comment

next step is to get that shape converted in to CAD, have a bunch made and powdercoated by Send Cut Send, and sell them here on the forum

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          next step is to get that shape converted in to CAD, have a bunch made and powdercoated by Send Cut Send, and sell them here on the forum
          I think it would be a good idea and maybe do it in a super hard plastic vs steel. So ne need for powdercoat and maybe better for base coat on top of strut towers?

Comment

DMG also makes plates for this. Used them when I put one of their braces on my sedan.
            https://dmgautosport.net/products/e-...-turret-plates

Comment

I came here and was expecting a BFH. But this solution is much better!

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                DMG also makes plates for this. Used them when I put one of their braces on my sedan.
                https://dmgautosport.net/products/e-...-turret-plates
                Just bought these for my car. Almost a hundred bucks shipped, but no welding.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Just bought these for my car. Almost a hundred bucks shipped, but no welding.
                  No welding on the Rise Fab plates if you use them
                  as shims and $35

Comment

Is this an 01 problem only or pre-LCI? I had my shim my RE strut tower brace with washers for my 02. The Rouge bar was hitting my quick disconnect hose for the ICV by the valve cover. I bought a DMG bar as it sits a lot higher than the Rogue bar (most clearance available for aftermarket strut bars).
                    Last edited by AWE46M3; 02-08-2024, 07:57 AM.
                    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
                      Is this an 01 problem only or pre-LCI? I had my shim my RE strut tower brace with washers for my 02. The Rouge bar was hitting my quick disconnect hose for the ICV by the valve cover. I bought a DMG bar as it sits a lot higher than the Rogue bar (most clearance available for aftermarket strut bars).
                      It’s a 2001 problem, strut towers are different.

But I also saw the problem you described with Rogue strut brace hitting the ICV quick disconnect. Rogue strut brace with the sticker RE or older brace fit fine but the newer Rogue brace with the curved metal RE logo fits like crap! I have made aluminum 1/4’’ shims for 2 cars so far cause it wouldn’t fit at all…

They aren’t made the same. There is 2 bends on the bigger bar on newer vs 1 bend on older.

Comment

my 2002 had the funky strut towers

Comment

Does anyone know why the 2001 to early 2002 MY E46 M3s had these raised areas on the strut towers? Did non-M E46s have them?

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
                            Does anyone know why the 2001 to early 2002 MY E46 M3s had these raised areas on the strut towers? Did non-M E46s have them?
                            Yes the non-M E46s had them too.
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Alright so, my car has bumps on the passenger side tower, and the driver's side is flat. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                              X