Engine Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil Filter

FCP no longer carries the MAHLE OX187D oil filter and has OX68D as another choice for the E46 M3. Since oil is changed yearly, I feel like the difference in paper media between the two filters should not matter much. The genuine filter is still available through FCP, but I would not mind using the OX68D unless there is some issue with it.

I found this info on another forum -

Oil filter confusion

Over the past several years, based on parts purchased from my local BMW dealer parts department, I have been using the Mahle OX 68 D oil filter kit (BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389) in my S50 powered 1995 E36 M3 as well as my S52 powered 2000 E36/8 Z3M Coupe. I recently discovered that the parts list for the S50 and S52 powered E36 M3, the S54 powered E46 M3, and the S52 and S54 powered Z3 M Coupe and Roadster calls for Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 769 which cross references to the Mahle OX 187 D while the Mahle OX 68 D (BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389) is specified for the M50 powered E34 and the M50 and M52 powered E36. I recently obtained a Mahle OX 187 D Oil Filter Kit and visually compared it to the Mahle OX 68 D. To my untrained oil filter eye the two Oil Filter Kits appear to be identical.
    I consulted with a local, well respected BMW parts guru, who happens to reside at BMW Seattle, regarding this oil filter subject.
    We examined both filters and discovered that P/N 11 42 7 833 769 is manufactured by Mahle and marked with their part number OX 187. The filter is also marked with BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 242 which is the part number assigned to the filter alone and is not an orderable BMW part number. When you order P/N 11 42 7 833 769 you get an Oil Filter Kit comprised of an oil filter, P/N 11 42 7 833 242 and the packet of two metal gasket rings (one silver and one copper colored) and two rubber o-rings.
    An examination of Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389, revealed a filter identified as made by Mann under Mann part number H 926/2 and BMW P/N 11 42 1 711 568. It had metal end caps but no perforated retention band. The accompanying packet contained two metal gasket rings (both silver in color) and two rubber o-rings.
    The long and the short of it is that those of us with S50, S52, and S54 engines should use Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 769 or the identical after market Mahle OX 187 D. Those of us with the M50 engine should use Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389. This filter cross references to the after market Mahle OX 68 D, or the Mann HU926/3x.
    I also sent Mahle an email asking them to explain the differences, if any, between their OX 187 D oil filter and the OX 68 D. Here is their explanation:

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for your inquiry and interest in MAHLE filters.
    To explain the differences between the two filters, OX187D replaces OX68D only on BMW M3 & Z3 M - models. The OX68D is still used in other BMW models as before. The OX187D is almost identical to OX68D but uses an upgraded media.
    Hope this answers your questions. If you need more information, just let me know.
    Best Regards
    John Enright
    MAHLE, Inc.
    Aftermarket
    One MAHLE Drive, Morristown, TN 37814
    Telephone:423-318-7974 Fax: 423-318-3190
    John.Enright@us.mahle.com, http://www.us.mahle.com

I spoke with John Enright and he speculated that the upgraded media (paper) in the OX 187 D is predicated on the increased oil change interval instituted by BMW commencing with the 1999 model year cars that come from the factory with BMW High Performance synthetic oil. He observed that if you change your oil, whether it be synthetic or otherwise, and filter every three to five thousand miles it probably doesn't matter which model filter you use as they are identical except for the pleated paper material.
    Who said buying a Bimmer oil filter would be simple?

This is good info, and I discovered the same P/N change per FCP a weeks back.

But I think a key question to be answered is this: Is the discontinuation of OX187D (-769) and replacement with OX68D (-389) something MAHLE did, or something BMW did? Since the Genuine -769 appears readily available, I'd learn toward Mahle likely discontinuing it on the aftermarket side (low volumes). If BMW discontinued it, this may be step 1 of NLA where what is left is in a BMW box. That, or expect the BMW branded stuff to get a price increase.

On the technical merit of the differences between the two filters, I'd like to better understand how that may be driven by an increased oil frequency change in S54 because I want to say, if I remember back then, all the BMWs at that time had an extended interval as part of the free maintenance BMW used to do. I would go as far as to say that there is no technical merit in the engine design to warrant those extended intervals and it was all marketing and accounting driven at the time. Either way, on a short change interval the OX68D is probably fine...but as we've seen over the years, the original parts are designed for a reason, and often that reason is not clear or widely known.

EDIT: The original post mentions MANN as the maker of the filter element for MAHLE. Interesting because MANN's S54 filter, P/N HU962/4X does not come with the metal end caps, curious what may be the reason for the end caps.
    Last edited by PSUEng; 02-11-2024, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I don't think it worth the few dollar difference to not use the OX187D. Filters are cheap. If FCP won't sell, go somewhere else. FCP Euro is a parts company, not BMW engineers. Even those cheap Chinese filters aren't usually blowing up engines, I'm not really a fan of the "good enough" with the oil circuit. Then there's also the question, why increase manufacturing costs and complicate parts when you can just reuse the same part? An engineer really thought the filter needed to be different. BMW is a big fan of overlapping parts to save money.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
        I don't think it worth the few dollar difference to not use the OX187D. Filters are cheap. If FCP won't sell, go somewhere else. FCP Euro is a parts company, not BMW engineers. Even those cheap Chinese filters aren't usually blowing up engines, I'm not really a fan of the "good enough" with the oil circuit. Then there's also the question, why increase manufacturing costs and complicate parts when you can just reuse the same part? An engineer really thought the filter needed to be different. BMW is a big fan of overlapping parts to save money.
        What? BMW retailers have never sold garbage and wrong parts!

/Sarcasm

Comment

The question really comes down to - is it just FCP no longer carries the MAHLE OX187D or did MAHLE stopped manufacturing the OX187D? If it's the former, then I'll just buy it somewhere else as I still see it available from other vendors - ECS, AutohausAZ, etc. If it's the latter, then we really have no other choice but to either go Genuine BMW or substitute it with the OX68D

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
            The question really comes down to - is it just FCP no longer carries the MAHLE OX187D or did MAHLE stopped manufacturing the OX187D? If it's the former, then I'll just buy it somewhere else as I still see it available from other vendors - ECS, AutohausAZ, etc. If it's the latter, then we really have no other choice but to either go Genuine BMW or substitute it with the OX68D
            It's more of a FCP thing. Hopefully, they will allow substitution for the OE or OX68D; otherwise, plenty of other places have the OX187D and some for considerably less.

Comment

Confirmed. Attempted to reorder the OX187D filter from a previous purchase and received this message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	301
Size:	867.4 KB
ID:	252902

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

It's more of a FCP thing. Hopefully, they will allow substitution for the OE or OX68D; otherwise, plenty of other places have the OX187D and some for considerably less.
                When I inquired it was related to exchanging mine under lifetime warranty for another and was told NLA, and I would receive an OX68D.

Comment

So wait...if you have the 187 filter from FCP Euro, they no longer carry it then you get hosed on the lifetime returns?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    So wait...if you have the 187 filter from FCP Euro, they no longer carry it then you get hosed on the lifetime returns?
                    If they have something else in stock that is comparable, it seems they will offer that as an option as PSU stated. For a part where there is no alternative, something like an Ohlins coilover kit, then you are SOL. They can discontinue a part whenever they want as well, which renders the warranty on that part useless.

There is probably a small cost difference between the two filters, so there is a chance that this happens to other items.

Comment

If you're using FCP Euro, can you just get the BMW filter instead? The price is only a one-time cost difference with FCP's lifetime warranty and negligible over the lifetime of oil changes

2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                      2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

While we are on topic, do the filter elements breakdown over time with minimal use? My E92 and E46 see less than 500 miles a year and I was thinking to change the oil annually and filters every 3-4 years. Not sure if that is a good idea but just cheaper and faster with less mess to make in the engine bay.
                        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

For a part where there is no alternative, something like an Ohlins coilover kit, then you are SOL. They can discontinue a part whenever they want as well, which renders the warranty on that part useless.
                          I love this so much.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

If this is the case, then it sounds like a cost cutting measure from FCP

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
                              If you're using FCP Euro, can you just get the BMW filter instead? The price is only a one-time cost difference with FCP's lifetime warranty and negligible over the lifetime of oil changes

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...69#description
                              They can very well do the same to the BMW filter in the future as well if they are doing it to the OX187D, which I would expect to have a higher margin than the BMW filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X