The ongoing saga of weirdness that is my RACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ongoing saga of weirdness that is my RACP

Hey everyone, I wanted to share something that stood out to me while doing my RACP. Cliff notes are, my car had a dealer replacement panel installed at some point before I owned it, and the previous owner installed some reinforcement plates in a way I wasn’t happy with, so I removed those and have been redoing the project.

I noticed that the panel gap between the wheel arch and the RACP appears to be off by a few mm. Like the RACP maybe was installed slightly lower than it’s supposed to be. I’m basing that off having watched a number of videos where people stitch weld the seam between these two panels, and it looks like they are usually flush, or very close to.

What do you guys make of this? Is this normal and I’m just stupid?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	252858 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	252857 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	252856 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	252855

At this point I’m just mildly perplexed and trying to think if this really matters, or has any impact on things. I really wish there were some records of when and where this replacement panel job was done, it was definitely rushed and done with corners cut. Makes me wonder if the condition of my car makes it an outlier or the majority with regards to a sample of cars with dealer replaced RACPs.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

I wouldn't worry about that. If the procedure requires stitch welding those two panels together then it makes sense that one would be shorter than the other. Welding an edge together wouldn't work very well...or at least be very difficult.

Comment

Normal

Comment

Normal, they are like this from factory.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Normal, this is one of many factory cars I just looked at in my pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	141
Size:	835.5 KB
ID:	252917
          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Alright thanks guys. I saw a few that looked different, lined up more exactly. One of life’s great mysteries I suppose.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
            X