Carbon Roof leak, water drainage, & rubber windshield trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Roof leak, water drainage, & rubber windshield trim

My carbon roof has seen better days. I’ve noticed my headliner damp around the a-pillar sun visor. We just had a big storm and while none of the carpet was wet, I pulled my gm5 to find a ton of moisture near the wiring. On top of that, my cluster wouldn’t turn on after I replaced my leaking tail light and turns but it’s working now. Scary!

I just went through major leak repair on my Touareg due to VWs infamous clogged sunroof drains.

I have not pulled the headliner yet but have a few questions:

1. Do cars with sunroofs have drain hoses leading to the pillars like my VW? I don’t have a sunroof anymore, is there supposed to be drainage in the A-pillars which might be clogged or does water drain from the roof rails on the exterior down between the glass and a-pillar?

2. Can the rubber trim around the windshield and rear glass be removed and replaced without removing the glass?

3. Has anyone removed a bonded CF roof before? Sounds like fun.

Im planning to replace my roof at some point but with lead times and installation that could be some time before it gets fixed.

If there’s no sunroof there’s no reason to have the roof drain. The seals around the windshield are more to protect the bond for the glass and to reduce wind noise.

Either the windshield or roof is leaking. I’d probably blame the windshield because there’s a lot of shit windshield work being done.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      If there’s no sunroof there’s no reason to have the roof drain. The seals around the windshield are more to protect the bond for the glass and to reduce wind noise.

Either the windshield or roof is leaking. I’d probably blame the windshield because there’s a lot of shit windshield work being done.
      Can those seals be removed without removing the glass? They look faded and may be brittle. I may try to seal up that area for the time being. Glass will have to come out eventually.

But what about water that gets in the roof rails and drains forward toward the glass, is there a channel down the A-Pillar?

Comment

Originally posted by inline.6 View Post

Can those seals be removed without removing the glass? They look faded and may be brittle. I may try to seal up that area for the time being. Glass will have to come out eventually.

But what about water that gets in the roof rails and drains forward toward the glass, is there a channel down the A-Pillar?
        The roof flange is under the roof rail so it could leak if someone did a bad job applying the adhesive evenly but I'd think it wouldn't leak really bad like a leaky windshield.

Replacing the seal likely won't do anything. The adhesive is what keeps the water out. You're best served by diagnosing where the water is leaking into the car first vs guessing.

Comment

If the pillar is wet I'm sure removing it will reveal location of the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
            If the pillar is wet I'm sure removing it will reveal location of the leak.
            I removed all the interior trim and headliner. There was no visible indication on the body, nor the top of the headliner or trim. I could feel the front right headliner get damp after rain.

”Luckily” for me, another CA rainstorm rolled through so I could get a visual. Turns out the back left is leaking way more than the front and there was zero indication.

Today, I answered my question. Yea, you can remove the windshield rubber trim with the windshield installed. It gets warped so just be careful. They are both cheap at FCP.

Here’s what I found: a ton of dirt built up causing the drainage to clog. I’m not sure this will fix my leak but drainage is very important.

Comment

Working...
            X