Doing header install and find oil in exhaust at 3 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing header install and find oil in exhaust at 3 cylinder

Anyone have experience with leaky stem seals? Only cylinder 3 has any evidence of a leak, every other port is clean. I scoped all 6 with a camera, but don't have a card reader to upload till I get back to the office on Monday.

I have not pulled the plug to confirm its not rings, but I don't anticipate anything, I just changed plugs less than 500 miles ago. Really have no interest in pulling the head

On the S65, I know they can replace a valve spring without removing the head. Not sure if that is an option with the S54. I'm sure there's some tool out there to keep the valve from dropping.

Question is can you get the valve stem seal back in and be confident it was done right. I'd guess that you'd have to remove the cam? Pulling the head off is relatively straight forward...don't forget the stupid timing rail bolt on the intake side.

Comment

I've seen Speed Academy do a couple of valve seals on a 2JZ by adding compressed air via the spark plug hole, the air keeps the valve seated and allows for a seal change. Still a big job though IMO, if you already have the headers off then you're basically just intake, cams/VANOS, coolant and headbolts away from a head job? IMO the headers would be the biggest pain for a head job..

Regards

Comment

found this video, looks relatively simple, though also decent way to create a headache if things dont go as planned.

Good news, because I did the most reasonable thing last night and reinstalled the headers and just forget about that little bit of "coking" I saw.

Comment

Working...
        X